When two gloves with sensors touch each other, data should be sent to a database

I'm currently working on a project in which two gloves touch each other. Both gloves need to have sensors. The idea behind it is giving each glove a unique ID, the two IDs/gloves that touch each other need to be sent to a database where points are counted for each individual glove.

So let's say when the gloves touch each other briefly (high-five), they both should get a point in the database. I'd also like to be able to distinguish how long the gloves touch each other. Let's say you use the glove to hold hands for 5 seconds, 5 points for both gloves/IDs will enter the database.

If anyone has thoughts/suggestions on which sensors to use, how to send data to the database, or anything else, please let me know!

Are we talking about two gloves connected to the same Arduino?

What sort of sensors do they have or are they just contacts?
If thy are contacts make one glove have a ground on the contacts and the other glove an input with the internal pull up resistors enabled. Then when you see a LOW signal on the input you know they have touched.

As to the data base, what data base?
Is it running in a computer or in the Arduino? If on a computer then communicate y sending a message on the serial port, but what that message is depends on what database system you have running.

Are we talking about two gloves connected to the same Arduino?

No, one Arduino per glove.

What sort of sensors do they have or are they just contacts?

I was thinking of using NFC, but I don't think that NFC can register the length of the gloves/sensors touching, can it? Using the internal pull up resistors would be more logical and easier, but I really want to work with a sensor for this, even if it's unnecessary work.

As to the data base, what data base?

A mysql database that's running on a computer. This because I want to build a website around the data gathered from the gloves.

I'm probably not going to bother with buying two wifi shields, just going to keep the arduinos plugged into the pc to send the data through the cable.

Sooo anyone got a better idea for sensors?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

ArnoTLE:
The idea behind it is giving each glove a unique ID, the two IDs/gloves that touch each other need to be sent to a database where points are counted for each individual glove.

Why do the gloves need individual ID, the only thing they are doing is connecting with each other, if they are the only gloves then you now it must be them connecting.
What is the application, this will possibly help use give you more concise information.
Are the gloves on two different individuals.
Is the application like fencing?
Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

just going to keep the arduino's

The Arduino’s what? Or do you mean Arduinos?

I think you wil struggle to get a NFR system in each finger tip and you will have to make one a transmitter and the other a receiver.

What sort of thing do you want to sense?

It sounds like this project is a none starter so far.

Why do the gloves need individual ID, the only thing they are doing is connecting with each other, if they are the only gloves then you now it must be them connecting.

I'm making the prototype with just two gloves, but I want to be able to distinguish multiple gloves if more are added.

What is the application, this will possibly help use give you more concise information.

Gloves with sensors which sense the type of touch, a highfive should give one point, holding hands should add 5 points to a database. I only have to showcase the prototype inside on a table, so I don't have to worry about the gloves not being really easy to take outside. Therefore my setup right now is:

• 2 computers
  • 2 Arduinos, wired to their own computer
  • 2 gloves with an NFC reader and a tag

When the gloves touch, the reader of glove 1 senses the touch of glove 2 (NFC Tag) and sends a point to the database for glove 1. At that same time, glove 2 registers the touch of the NFC tag in glove 1 and sends a point to the database for glove 2. The data in the database will be shown in a very simple web application.

Are the gloves on two different individuals.

Yes, that's why I will need to use two Arduinos.

You can use RFID to identify the gloves (one tag and one reader in each glove - the reader to identify the other, the tag to tell the other who you are), and other sensors to detect the duration of the touch/proximity.
Capacitive sensors maybe - either touch based (have the glove surface conductive) or just proximity based. Of course they will detect many more events, but you can easily filter them out for not having an RFID tag present.
Instead of Arduino+WiFi shield, get a NodeMCU or WeMOS D1. They have an ESP8266 processor with built-in WiFi. About the same cost as an Arduino. Sounds like a perfect fit for your application.
To connect to your MySQL database, look for the MySQL connector library. That makes the connection very easy to do.

ArnoTLE:
Gloves with sensors which sense the type of touch, a highfive should give one point, holding hands should add 5 points to a database.

That's trickier.
Probably the easiest way to do this is based on duration of contact. A high-five makes contact for maybe half a second, a handshake 2-5 seconds or so.
Another option may be an accelerometer, which you use to detect the orientation of the hand (sticking out or sticking up, about 90° difference in angle).

The Arduino's what? Or do you mean Arduinos?

Sorry about that, I meant Arduinos, edited my post.

I think you wil struggle to get a NFR system in each finger tip and you will have to make one a transmitter and the other a receiver.

It just has to be one reader on the palm of the hand, that'll do.

What sort of thing do you want to sense?

The touching of the two individual gloves. I also want to be able to differentiate a highfive from a handshake by looking at how long the sensors transmit data. However I don't think that works with NFC.

Thanks for your ideas wvmarle, I'll definitely look into the various options you gave me!

Probably the easiest way to do this is based on duration of contact.

Using RFID to identify the gloves, along with a sensor to check for the duration seems like a good idea. What kind of proximity sensor are you talking about? I found a bunch of different ones but don't know what would work as I don't have that much knowledge in that area.

Capacitive sensors[/quote].