When using Vin for input, can it handle more than 5V?

Hey folks,

Bit of a noob question here...i've tried googling, but most references to Vin refer to using it as an output pin. In any case, I want to power my arduino through the Vin pin (not via USB nor via the barrel connector). Do i need to ensure that there is 5V going into the Vin pin, or can i put a higher voltage (8V is what i've got running around my system)?

Thanks!

VIN has to be at least around 7v and HAS to go into the barrel connector (or the VIN socket on the power header). Put it anywhere else and you'll blow something up.

Vin refer to using it as an output pin.

VIN is not a pin al all.

Maybe you should tell us exactly what you want to do before you have to buy a new Arduino :slight_smile:

Rob

__Tango:
Hey folks,

Bit of a noob question here...i've tried googling, but most references to Vin refer to using it as an output pin. In any case, I want to power my arduino through the Vin pin (not via USB nor via the barrel connector). Do i need to ensure that there is 5V going into the Vin pin, or can i put a higher voltage (8V is what i've got running around my system)?

Thanks!

The Vin shield pin can be used as either a voltage output where it will have the same value as the voltage being plugged into the external power connector (minus one diode voltage drop), or it can be used as a voltage source input to power the board and has the same voltage requirements as listed for the external power connector. The Vin voltage goes to only one place on the board, the input to the on-board +5vdc voltage regulator. Applying +5vdc to the Vin pin will not meet the input voltage requirements for the on-board regulator. If you already have an external source of regulated +5vdc then you may apply it directly to the shield +5vdc pin.

Lefty