Where can I buy custom PCBs with presoldered pin headers?

I'd like to make a custom Arduino shield using Fritzing. The shield only has a bunch of traces and pin headers, no components like buttons, resistors, chips etc. (when I say pin headers, I mean male, female and male+female)
Is there a cheap way to get something like this done?
I'd like to get a low quantity of around 20-100 of these.

I know you can get custom PCBs for very low prices if you do all the soldering yourself, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Get one of your kids (or one from next door) to solder them in for you for a nominal payment

I do work like that. Prefer Eagle for board designs tho.

Eagle is probably better, but Fritzing made it really easy for a complete beginner like me.
I was hoping that the soldering could be done cheaply and automatically by something like a pick and place machine (or whatever they are called for though-hole components).

felic:
Eagle is probably better, but Fritzing made it really easy for a complete beginner like me.
I was hoping that the soldering could be done cheaply and automatically by something like a pick and place machine (or whatever they are called for though-hole components).

Pin headers come from the factory in long strips, perhaps 6-8 inches long. Someone has to break them into the lengths needed for your board. A pick-and-place cannot do that. As that is a manual operation, it's just as easy to include placing and soldering them.
If a pick-and-place machine had to do this, the vias for the pins would have to have more solder paste that is used for normal SMT devices, so special care would be needed, not something to be done in a production environment. Then there is the problem of running the plastic through an oven to do the soldering. I doubt the plastic would stand for that!
How many hundred boards are you contemplating?
Paul

Wave solder machines can do that. The thruhole components are placed with some glue to hold them in place first.
There are sites like Screaming Circtuits in MN or Sierrra Circuits in CA with online quoting that you can check with.

You'll have to find part numbers at Digikey.com that their systems can look up the component prices.
If you select Headers, then Male or Female, and select Sullins Connector Solutions, that will narrow down the lists of parts that will work well.

You'll need to create Gerber files that Sunstone.com can make boards with for Screaming Circuits. I don't know about Sierra, I haven't used them yet.

eBay has both male and female pin header strips.

Usually sold in 40 pin lengths.

Pololu.com is another good source for female headers
Pololu - 0.100" (2.54 mm) Female Header: 1x8-Pin, Straight
Click on "Select Variant", and then the Down Arrow next to 1x8
(notably missing: 1x18 and 2x18, I get those from Gikfun, but I buy several hundred of the long tail versions at a time).

Male pins also come in multiple lengths, you wouldn't send full length strips to a shop and have them break them up into lengths to be inserted into a board.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/rectangular-connectors-headers-male-pins/314?s=N4IgjCBcoKxgTFUBjKAzAhgGwM4FMAaEAeygG0QBmAdjEpkpAF0iAHAFyhAGV2AnAJYA7AOYgAvkTABOABzSkIVJEy5CJciAAMzNp0g9%2BwsZJDwt8CNCXps%2BIqUgUALGGqyYCliA5deg0QkiAFpEa2V%2BAFd1RwoYECIvPS4gkGCFcKgomM0Ib18DCVMwigALPAwAEzw%2BZnEgA

Have a go at soldering yourself , lots of tutorials about , it’s not that hard .

I already have enough pin headers in every variety for the next ten years or so, but I'm not interested in soldering these PCBs myself. I could, but I don't want to. I also don't want to pay random children to do it.
I only want to order a small quanitity in the beginning. Maybe 100 and once I can find a market for them I might go for bigger orders.
But I guess since I have to ask for a quote, I might as well hire someone to do the job.
I was really hoping for a simple website where I can upload my gerber file and then get my finished boards a month later.

felic:
I already have enough pin headers in every variety for the next ten years or so, but I'm not interested in soldering these PCBs myself. I could, but I don't want to. I also don't want to pay random children to do it.
I only want to order a small quanitity in the beginning. Maybe 100 and once I can find a market for them I might go for bigger orders.
But I guess since I have to ask for a quote, I might as well hire someone to do the job.
I was really hoping for a simple website where I can upload my gerber file and then get my finished boards a month later.

Part of your consideration should be that the hourly cost of about $100 per hour will be the basis for a bid for your work.
Paul

I listed two sites that will do that. You need Gerber files, and a BOM.
Companies can’t tell what kind of headers you want installed where.
And headers have variations - length of pins, pin platings, height of plastic, etc. - that you have to make decisions on.
Even if you send them to China make PCBs and assemble, they’ll need the same basic info.

So basically you need a custom PCB with soldering service? In my experience, PCBway (China) works well and is the cheapest I could find for it. I have made numerous custom soldered PCBs with them, including some that had simple pin headers (both male and female).

Edit: cheapest I could find for a relatively small batch. https://pcbshopper.com/ allows you to set some design requirements and see what the cost is for a bunch of different PCB-houses.

Use SMT pin headers if you want the thing built commercially - they exist, they have different
footprints, typically with the pins bending alternate left and right to make the SMT pins. For
pick and place they come in a fixed set of lengths including a bit of plastic for the vacuum
nozzle to lift them by, for instance:

I'm not sure if I could design an Arduino shield for SMT headers. Sounds very complicated compared to my current design. I've never seen Arduino shields use SMT pin headers instead of through-hole headers before, especially for these male+female ones to make the shield stackable:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.