Where can we find fast linear actuators?

Hi,
I am looking for linear actuators with around 5'' (10-15 cm) shaft length, which have a linear speed of 30mm/s or more. The hard part is that I also need my motor to have some sort of positioning system, ideally it would be a stepper, but I found some actuators with a pot as positioning sensor attached to it like this one 4'' Stroke 150lb Force Linear Actuator - RobotShop

I find it very hard to find motors with such specs by googling. I do not know if anyone has motors in mind? I am not that much aware of all the available motor products right now.. Is it possible to have a linear stepper with 30mm/s or more??

Thank you!!

What is the weight they need to move? Why don't you make a linear actuator using a threaded rod, a nut to ride on the threaded rod and a stepper motor and gearing/belting to connect the stepper to the threaded rod?

Paul

Inkjet printers probably have stepper motor actuators that move the print head pretty quickly.

Devices like this should cover that speed range I think: Hybrid Linear Stepper Actuators - Motion Control Products Ltd.

aliexpress might have considerably cheaper variations.

I would look at using a crank mechanism attached to a stepper motor or servo as maybe one of the cheapest options.

Going on from there would be a stepper motor with feedback / encoder (closed loop) and a crank.

Most linear only units can get quite expensive.

ballscrewbob:
I would look at using a crank mechanism attached to a stepper motor or servo as maybe one of the cheapest options.

Going on from there would be a stepper motor with feedback / encoder (closed loop) and a crank.

Most linear only units can get quite expensive.

Yeah we decided to go with a nema23 with a rack and pinion mechanism. Linear units are expensive but also very limited in shapes and dimensions. All of them were pretty slow or huge as hell haha

You can always mount a linear sensor on the rack for pure positioning as a feedback loop or just some magnets and a hall switch for less precision.

A rack might be a little slower than a crank system but without knowing real details it is hard to say which would be better.

Good luck with your project.

Bob.