where do I download the "String" library

#include <String.h>
states "String.h: No such file or directory"

and
#include <WString.h>
states "WString.h: No such file or directory "

:frowning:

Start here:-

I've been through all that. All that I understand from those pages is that the String object is a library, how to use it's methods but not how to import it.

It also says:

"Contributed Libraries
If you're using one of these libraries, you need to install it first. To do so, download the library and unzip it"
As I understand the String object is one of these.
But I have no idea where I download it.

They are built in, if you run the code from the bottom of this page:- http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/StringAdditionOperator you will find it works without any library.

So what code are you trying to run, it looks like it is using a couple of non standard libraries, ask the same place you got the code.

I see. Im playing with the WiFly shield's library.

So I assume I just need to copy the standard libraries(files) into this thing somewhere.

Thanks for the help btw

So I assume I just need to copy the standard libraries(files) into this thing somewhere.

Probably not as they may do different things. What happens if you comment out the calls to load the header files, is the string usage the same as the built in stuff? It could be this is old software that relied on old libraries.

Ok Now im extra confused. Here's the facts:

• using arduino IDE 0018 (on ubuntu), with Duemilanove
  • Playing with a piece of sample code for WiFly shield
  • started adding own code to sample and trying to use String object
  • String object not liked. without import it says "error: 'String' does not name a type". with import is as above

using arduino IDE 0018 (on ubuntu), with Duemilanove

Why not down load the latest and use that, it could be the strings aren't built in on 18. I don't use them much bu I do know they are in 20.

ah yes. That solved it. I updated (now 0021)

hey you guys know where i can download the string library?