Where do I find an electic door lock?

I'm working on an Arduinoe based home automation and security system. I'm currently looking for an electric door lock that I can control from the Arduino (through a relay of course). Preferable I would like a lock which could be locked/unlocked with a regular key in addition, just in case the Arduino should fail.

I have searched ebay and other similar places but don't find exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone here that knows where I might find such a lock?

Something like this http://www.smarthome.com/5190S.html should work with a standard key operated lock

One feature you definitely want (the one mem linked to does) is this: remain locked when un-powered. You don't want the doors unlocking when power goes out; unfortunately some systems have this failure mode.

-j

try you local locksmith: they put these into apartment buildings all the time.

You don't want the doors unlocking when power goes out; unfortunately some systems have this failure mode.

It depends if you want a "fail safe" or "fail secure" system.

Suppose you have a fire that takes out the mains, do you want everyone locked in?

I suppose it depends on who is going to sue you. ;)

Yes, in the US at least you have to have the capacity for a door to be opened even in the case of a power outage (for precisely the reason you stated.) Of course, if everyone who could sue you were inside during the fire then.... nevermind. ;-)

The bottom line is that a lock can and should fail secure on the OUTSIDE. But you'd better have the capacity to still open the door from the inside.

It depends if you want a "fail safe" or "fail secure" system.

You can have it both ways - just leave the knob on the door. :|

-j

It's the actual lock mechanism, not the strike plate, that will determine how the lock will open without power. A standard lock that will open a locked door on the inside without a key would allow exit without power to the strike plate (see reply #1 above for an example of a suitable strike plate)

Something like these are common with electric door openers here in the UK: http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/Standard_Security_nightlatches.html

Thanks guys for taking your time to help with this. I got a step further and I found a lock I think I will be able to use.

I am looking for a similar solution. Did you find any door lock that can hook up with Arduino?

anybody on this one?

Use an electric strike, as was posted. How you interface it with an Arduino will depend on the exact model you get (AC or DC, current and voltage requirements).

what electric strike your are talking about?

From reply #1...

http://www.smarthome.com/5190S.html

thanks for the reply. I have seen that, thats why i asked if somebody tried this or not? Will it work fine with Arduino?

Will it work fine with Arduino?

It depends on what you mean by “fine”. If you want something that connects directly to the Arduino then the answer is “no”.

As ajb mentioned, it will work but it will require interface components. The Arduino can control the electric strike but it cannot power the electric strike.

its ok if i need to power it with external source but i want to control that power using arduino, so that i can lock and unlock it