Where is Arduino YUN display Interface?

Where is Arduino YUN display Interface? I can't find a way to interface a crt or LCD screen with YUN board. What am I missing? Spoiled by Raspberry Pi HDMI port.

EOM

jaack

Special USB LCD display panel is required, Raspberry Pi HDMI port is much easy and nice.

jaack65:
Where is Arduino YUN display Interface?

Short answer ... it does not have one.

Yun is for REAL programmers .... :slight_smile:

...R

missing display interfaces is an issue for all REAL programmers.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Very few microcontrollers come with graphics interfaces but you can add one.

There was a kickstarter TFT though I forget which Arduino was at the heart of it.

GoForSmoke:
but you can add one.

Or just get a RaspberryPi ?

Which, actually, may be the easiest way to add an interface.

Or you could use a Browser as a Yun interface as it has Wifi and Ethernet.

...R

Robin2:

Yun is for REAL embedded programmers .... :slight_smile:

...R

There, I fixed it for you. :wink:

The Yun is intended as a small network enabled embedded device, not as a general purpose computer. In most use cases, it does not need a video output, as projects built with it usually have no display, and perhaps only a few LEDs to indicate status. There may be a small character or graphic LCD in some cases, but it is for application specific uses, not as a general user interface.

On the other hand, the Raspberry PI is intended as a low cost general purpose computer. As such, it is most often used with a keyboard, mouse, and an HDMI display where it runs a GUI windowing system. It can be used as a headless embedded system, and is cheap enough to do so, but that was not its primary target audience.

Different target audiences drive different I/O capabilities. While one can often perform the functions of the other, they have different design philosophies and are not direct replacements for each other.

I'm happy with ANSI terminals. I'd like to see those made cheap. I miss my Wyse 100.

OTOH things like this are out there, the Gameduino-2:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Gameduino-2-p-1676.html

jaack65:
Where is Arduino YUN display Interface? I can't find a way to interface a crt or LCD screen with YUN board. What am I missing? Spoiled by Raspberry Pi HDMI port.

EOM

jaack

You can use ssh and create a remote terminal.

ShapeShifter:

Shoot ... where would I be without ya :slight_smile:

...R

ShapeShifter:

[quote author=Robin2 on Sep 30, 2015, 01:37 pm]

Yun is for REAL embedded programmers .... :slight_smile:

...R
[/]

::::SNIP::::

[/quote]

I'm going to add this. This is also the way you do video-over-the-Internet or run an Internet Server.
No disrespect to the person asking the question, because the point is Video sucks the process power from the server.

To clear on this point, when we did this, we installed the least expensive monochrome display adapters on all our servers. This meant, if you wanted to attach a display on the server, it was TEXT ONLY with a green on black display. There was physically no way to attach a windowing system to this server.

Best of Luck
Jesse

jaack65:
Spoiled by Raspberry Pi HDMI port.

Raspberry Pi/Pi 2 supports 1080p30 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decoder and encoder. ( 1K@30fps)

Pi/Pi 2 is built in "Dual Core VideoCore IV® Multimedia Co-Processor"

https://www.broadcom.com/docs/support/videocore/VideoCoreIV-AG100-R.pdf

However 1K@30fps show the age, even with newer CPU/GPU for mobile phone, quad-core GPU or 8-core GPU could push limit to 4K@60fps.

Need watch 4K video, forget about Pi.