Where to apply external power to Arduino Micro (via 5V regulator)

I am building a project with an 130 RGB LED strip. As the micro can clearly not provide this kind of power I have opted to use a 5V (5A) regulator to supply the LED strip and the micro handles the comms to control the strip.

The mirco states that the input voltage (Vin) should be:

Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V

Obviously when powered via USB the board is only getting 5V so my question is, can I apply my 5V regulated directly to the 5V pin?

I am aware I will not be able to power all 130 LEDs on full brightness with 5A. Any other comments on my circuit are of course welcome!

Yes, regulated 5V can be provided to the 5V pin. You obviously need to be a bit more careful with your wiring as you don't want a loose wire accidentally touching your unprotected 5V input.

The switches with pulldown resistors look OK, but the normal method is to use the internal pullup resistor inside the Arduino and then your switch connects to ground to make an active-LOW signal.

Thank you for the tip on pull-up resistors, that's a cleaner solution for sure.

Can you please explain what you mean by:

MorganS:
You obviously need to be a bit more careful with your wiring as you don't want a loose wire accidentally touching your unprotected 5V input.

I'm not sure I understand.

Well, if you have a 12V wire floating loose around your workbench (it's the LED supply or something) then you need to be sure that the 5V wire is fully insulated and dropping the 12V wire anywhere on the bench won't fry your Arduino.

Also double-check the polarity when hooking it up. Use red and black wires for power and then it's a little more obvious if you have it backwards.

Either of those mistakes is less damaging if you're using the "raw" or "Vin" pin to power the Arduino.