Where to buy RP2040 MCU?

As the title says...

Can we bought the RP2040 chip somewhere, or it is reserved for companies, such as Sparkfun, Pimoroni, etc...

This is the Arduino forum, Not the Raspberry pi forum. Why not ask the Raspberry Pi foundation.

Only because I am here. On this forum.
And, maybe, just maybe, someone here knows.

Is this answer enough for you?

I like people that say little, but... you know what I mean...

In that case, can you tell me how to fix a water pump on a 69 austin maxi? I know it's nothig to do with Arduino, but maybe, just maybe you know!

Like, remove & replace with a working one? Or remove, rebuild & reinstall?
Surely there are books on how to do that.
They don't seem to be too expensive if this google search is any indication.

The Arm Cortex M0+ processor is certainly purchasable.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/embedded-microcontrollers/685?s=N4IgTCBcDaIIICUCyA6gBAYQPYCcAuApgB4oC0SADANQgC6AvkA

Rp2040 chips are expected to be for sale “in q2”

It’s in the faqs at rpi...

@CrossRoads
Yup, but not the one from the title.

@westfw
Thank you. I missed it.

For others that would like to read:

@missdrew
You didn't have to be rude. This is all I wanted to know. I bet that there is more than one here on this forum that would like to know this I asked here. It is ok to help someone, and it is also ok to not help at all. But it is not ok to preach to someone you know nothing about. Anyway, have a nice evening.

Who was rude? I advised you that there was a better place to ask! At no point was a rude!
If you are convinced I was, report me.

I have mixed feelings with answering questions about cpus that are not used as standard ArduinoCo boards.
On the one hand, we do answer many esp8266 and esp83 nonttttt-arduino board questions. That’s swell,and encourages these boards to use the arduino ide, and push the preferred version where the esp chip is used as a peripheral.

Other vendors... it depends on the ties. Adafruit, SparkFun, pjrc, seeed, those are pretty good supporters of arduino, afaik. So they’re safe. Processors from NXP, stm, or rpi are a bit of a long shot...

@missdrew
Please…
Everything is fine. I don’t have time for this…

@westfw
I understand. But sooner or later, the RP2040 WILL BE a part of an Arduino family. Official Arduino family. Even Massimo Banzi announced it on his blog: Welcome Raspberry Pi to the world of microcontrollers | Arduino Blog
It is not now part of an Arduino, but it will be. I think it is enough to not judge me for posting this here.

I bought the pico from pimoroni and like it quite a lot. As for whether this should be asked here. Why not? We all love microcontrollers and making an inclusive forum will only encourage more people to use those microcontrollers via the Arduino IDE. This is a good thing as it will limit all the extra programs we need to install to get working with a microcontroller.

However, if we get snippy with each other about what microcontrollers should and shouldn't be discussed here it just reflects poorly on the community.

who_took_my_nick:
Can we bought the RP2040 chip somewhere, or it is reserved for companies, such as Sparkfun, Pimoroni, etc...

Boring answer:
I bought one on eBay.

Judging by the 300 or so reviews on Pimoroni, the Pico seems to have caused quite a stir.

Nowadays, when it comes to microcontrollers we're spoilt for choice.

I have a Pico. It works fine but I tried only a few things. MicroPython only.

@srnet
Haven't find any on eBay. But, it will show up eventually.

the Pico seems to have caused quite a stir.

Indeed. There are some interesting features.

Note that this particular question was talking about bare chips, rather than the board. I bought two boards from Adafruit. I mean ... it's worth $10 to play with something new, right?

I've been following their forums over at RPi. Raspberry Pi Pico - Raspberry Pi Forums
The "culture cliff" of a userbase accustomed to linux SBCs approaching a microcontroller board is ... amusing: "why is that fopen() present, but doesn't DO anything?" :slight_smile:

I've been following their forums over at RPi. Raspberry Pi Pico - Raspberry Pi Forums
The "culture cliff" of a userbase accustomed to linux SBCs approaching a microcontroller board is ... amusing: "why is that fopen() present, but doesn't DO anything?" :slight_smile:

Yes, I think it's introducing a lot of RPi fans to the world of microcontrollers, which can't be a bad thing.

Interesting that RPi chose to opt for a dual core Cortex M0+, when most manufacturers seem to be offering higher performance, M4 and M7 options with a hardware FPU, albeit single core.

Yeah. There are some indications that RPi didn’t have much familiarity with Cortex-M, too.
Very non-CMSIS style for the C SDK chip include files, for example. (probably Python was their main goal?)

Yeah. There are some indications that RPi didn't have much familiarity with Cortex-M, too.
Very non-CMSIS style for the C SDK chip include files, for example. (probably Python was their main goal?)

Am I right in thinking this is going to make register level programming somewhat difficult?

I don’t think so. Its very camis-like, but in particular they didn’t use core_cm0plus.h, so a bunch of the stuff that should be common with other cm0+ chips, isn’t. systick,for instance.

Minimal blink; Blink from scratch - Page 3 - Raspberry Pi Forums