Where to Go Now?

Hello All!

About two weeks ago, I purchased an Arduino Uno R3 and a copy of Massimo Banzi's book Getting Started with Arduino. I have read through the book and completed the exercises. What is the next step I should take to continue learning Arduino? (I know basic electronics) Also, a place to find project ideas would be helpful.

Thank You,

techietrekkie

What are your hobbies?

My hobbies include electronics (just getting started), computers (advanced, but don't know much programming), watching Star Trek, and bicycling.

In the Playground section, you will find a lot of things you can do.

computers (advanced, but don't know much programming),

?

computers (advanced, but don’t know much programming),

maybe advanced user

I know a lot about system configuration and management but only know a splash of BASIC and C#.

You mentioned bicycles... how about Arduino controled RGB LED strips on your bike?

I could imagine a bicycle speedometer (counting revolutions per second using hall effect or similar).

And in terms of not knowing much about programming, that probably will change as well. :astonished:

Hunter Killer UAV?

techietrekkie: watching Star Trek,

Build a tricorder? (buttons, LEDs, sound effects, LCD display?)

Steph:

techietrekkie: watching Star Trek,

Build a tricorder? (buttons, LEDs, sound effects, LCD display?)

You could have some actual sensors integrated as well, like a compass, light sensors, sound recorder, even a small camera. If you base it on a Mega you'll have expanded I/O for more sensors. Or you could use one of the smaller board form factors (like the mini, micro, and nano), you'll have less pins physically available but they are easier to fit in a hand-held device that also contains other hardware.

Also you might appreciate that someone already has a fairly successful project to create and sell a real-life tricorder. Although of course, he is using much more powerful processors than Arduinos in his designs.

A good source of projects is to look around you - are there any problems you'd like solved? Do you need something to water your plants while you're away? Feed your cat? Monitor temps in your greenhouse? If that and the playground don't inspire you, visit the Sparkfun (or other vendor's) site and buy sensors until your wallet can't stand any more. Make learning how to use each of them a mini project. Perhaps when you're done with that, one of them will suggest a project you like. Finally, read through the historical threads in the forums - people are working on a massive variety of different things.

Ethernet shields and internet control of the Arduino is a fun area to explore, too.