which acceleormeter to choose ?

hello,

First of all, sorry if you read this twice, but after posting inn the Frecnh section, I thought it may be more appropriated here. So here I am.

I'm working on a project for percussions augmented with eletronic sounds. In order for the peformer to control some musical parameters, I'd like to attach some accelerometers to the drum sticks. Basically I want him to be able to control speed of some loops, tempo modulations, (de-)synchronisation with the electronic part for example, and maybe use the data from the accelerometer to excite some resonators or such (that is, I'm not trying to detect the shots on the drum).

I'm not worried that much about the software part - at least, not yet ;-) - but I have little experience with the hardware part. I came across some models of accelerometers in some articles, tutorials, etc (here and there for example, but I have little idea about the specificities of the sensors and about which one should I use over another. Did someone use some accelerometers in such a situation ? Or could someone give me informations about the specificities to care of ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Julien.

Well you could try the MMA7260Q made by Freescale semiconductor. Tom Igoe has a tutorial on this device on his site -- http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/sensors/Reports/MMA7260Q

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, it's one of the two models with tutorials I noticed, in fact (the other being http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/sensors/Reports/ADXL202Accelerometer). I'm not sure I really need a third axis, though. But anyway, I assume it won't matter to have one more ?

I looked once more at the specifications of various ones, but still don't don't get that much. I am probably going to buy this one, and see how it goes.

I wasn't sure which movements you were interested in. I'd assumed the X & Y would be perpendicular to the length of the drumstick with the Z axis parallel to the stick. I would think that you'd need the Z axis to help determine the orientation of the stick.

I'd love to hear how this works out for you.

I wasn't sure which movements you were interested in.

hehe. This is a bit of my problem as well. Basically, I know what I want in the end and the musical parameters I want to modulate with some external data, but not that much what I physically need for that.

I'd assumed the X & Y would be perpendicular to the length of the drumstick with the Z axis parallel to the stick. I would think that you'd need the Z axis to help determine the orientation of the stick.

OK, you are right actually. I thought 2 axes perpendicular to the stick would be enough, but after rethinking about it, I was wrong. At least, in some cases, 2 axes won't be enough. As an example, a situation I'm particularly interested in is to have the computer producing some appoggiatura or a kind of preparation for the shots played by the performer (I lack some English vocabulary so I hope it makes sense). In this case, the orientation of the stick would help a lot indeed to define when it starts playing and when it stops. So yes, I need a 3D accelerometer.

I'd love to hear how this works out for you.

With pleasure. Can't tell how fast I'll work this out, but I'll post about it, for sure.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Julien.