Which arduino board or starter kit to get?

Hi all!

I am interested in Arduino. But the thing is, I have no idea what the different arduinos are capable of, nor what I really need. I don't really know what I want to make, all I know is that I should be able to reuse my board (is that even possible?) since I'll change my mind a couple of times and try all sorts of things out!

I think I would need to be able to expand with external modules/sensors..

I've been looking at the starter kit, but I must admit I'm on a budget-giving 79 euro for something that I'm not entirely sure I'll use.

Hi

all I know is that I should be able to reuse my board (is that even possible?)

yes it is possible, aduino is very user friendly and the headers in the arduino allows dupont wires to be plugged in without being solderd

I have no idea what the different arduinos are capable of

arduino is basically a micro controller, but what is it capable of is up to you. it can be as simple as lighting an led, or even controlling a satellite in space ( ardusat)

if you are looking for started kit, there are many under your budget. my favourite option is ebay.

cheers

DMond: if you are looking for started kit, there are many under your budget. my favourite option is ebay.

cheers

But it seems that people here tends to think many boards from Ebay are clones, I cannot make sure that the board is a genuine Arduino board.

And which board is easier to get started? Arduino UNO? Mega2560? Leonardo R3?

Thank you for your reply.

Hi, most of the boards on eBay ARE clone. It's not much different really.. But if you want an official board try major distributors . They usually sell genuine ones.

I started off with an UNO, it's much cheaper than a mega, good for experiments and for getting used to. Plus most of the shields you see online are made for UNO. Sometimes different wiring is needed for a mega which is troublesome. I would recommend and UNO.

Cheers

DMond: Hi, most of the boards on eBay ARE clone. It's not much different really.. But if you want an official board try major distributors . They usually sell genuine ones.

I started off with an UNO, it's much cheaper than a mega, good for experiments and for getting used to. Plus most of the shields you see online are made for UNO. Sometimes different wiring is needed for a mega which is troublesome. I would recommend and UNO.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply.

I had made a purchased at sparkfun for the UNO R3 starter kit. I can't wait to tinker with it.

I believe it will be of much fun.