Which Arduino board suitable for microgrid/solar PV control

Hello,

I have a 2*500W solar photovoltaic setup in my lab along with lead acid battery charging facility. I want to make a controller to control this solar microgrid(voltage/freq control,active and reactive control,microgrid management etc) using the Arduino controller board.

What strategy should i use and which Arduino board is most suitable for such kind of work.

PLEASE HELP !!

Hello,
truthfully, I'd probably build my own barebone Arduino simply because it is fairly easy to do and because I then have total control over what goes into the System. With such a System, you may want the Arduino to use as Little power as possible. What's the sense of using solar if the System is using a non-negligible amount for itsself?

Alternatively, a Pro Mini can be made into basically a barebone by removing the LED and removing the inefficient linear power.

However, your biggest challenge is probably the circuitry that actually does the charging and/or power Management.

To provide further tips or assistance, it would help to have a more indepth description of what circuitry (sensors, Controllers, power load) you are planning on using.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

You are quoting quite a few requirements.

voltage/freq control,active and reactive control, micro-grid management etc

Can you explain, even better do a block diagram of, your "micro-grid system".

You say you have the DC components then go to quote AC parameters, do you have a power inverter connected as well?

Thanks, the more info we have the better answers we can give. Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

You are quoting quite a few requirements.Can you explain, even better do a block diagram of, your “micro-grid system”.

You say you have the DC components then go to quote AC parameters, do you have a power inverter connected as well?

Thanks, the more info we have the better answers we can give. Tom… :slight_smile:

Yes. TomGeorge, We have the power inverter as well. What i wanted to know is that is it possible to integrate different energy sources like solar, wind and battery using the Arduino and somehow design an algorithm to control the MPPT’s of both of them simultaneously. I am in the initial phases hence i cannot give you the complete schematic. But the result would be a solar wind hybrid control system

somehow design an algorithm to control the MPPT's of both of them simultaneously

Might require two Arduinos. How and with what external power control electronics are you currently accomplishing MPPT for either system?

zee123king:
What i wanted to know is that is it possible to integrate different energy sources like solar, wind and battery using the Arduino and somehow design an algorithm to control the MPPT's of both of them simultaneously.

Yes, No, Maybe.

That description is far too fuzzy to allow a definitive answer.

You need to describe the hardware that will be connected to each device and how it will need to be controlled.

...R