Which arduino board to build flight simulator panels (X-Plane 11)

Hey everbody.

As i want to build multiple hardware cockpit panels to control/display parameters in my flight simulator X-Plane 11, i am wondering, which arduino board i should purchase.

I want to use switches, buttons, lcd-displays and led's to to control the software and have information from the software displayed.

Currently i think i should go with the mega or DUE, as they seem to have the most I/O's.

But this site for example

seems to use teensy boards only.

So as i am new to arduino, i would be glad, if someone could give an advice or point out why a certain board would be best to use...

Hi, I think the Mega is good for this.

And to keep from going crazy with wires, use a sensor shield:

and maybe some terminal blocks??

And read some of THIS..

Later, show us what you did!

Thanks a lot Terry.

Just ordered a Mega and sensor shield plus accessories to start testing.

toni_latenz:
I want to use switches, buttons, lcd-displays and led's to to control the software and have information from the software displayed.

How many of each these things will you have? If you're building panels for a complex aircraft, you may find that you'll need several arduinos. Since the Mega has several hardware serial ports, it'll be a good choice if you need to add additional slaves.

Thanks for your comment wildbill.

I want to start small, with lets say an autopilot panel for a 737, which will have about

• 5 rotary
  • 14 buttons
  • 3 switches
  • 6 displays (digit)
  • several leds

But looking long-term, there are far more complex elements possible to build, like a complete Boeing overhead panel, which will have lots more of knobs, rotaries, etc.

So, i am glad to hear that adding additional cards is possible and that the mega was a good choice to start with.