Which Arduino for my new project

A friend mentioned Arduino when I told him about a new project I was working on and i think this will fit the bill perfectly but I was just looking for a little bit of advice.

It's going to have 4 motors and possibly about 4 sensors. Joystick input tethered will be ok for a while but I'd like to have it be wireless eventully

I've got a little bit of experience with C based languages but I was planning to do a lot with matlab.

The setup i was thinking was Joystick>computer>matlab>usb>arduino>pwm(output)>speed controllers>motors

I'll take any advice you guys have Like I said I'm pretty new to all of this so keep the lingo to a bit lower level.

I'm mostly curious about whats the best way to add the wireless link later or maybe just do that from the beginning. Which board would be capable for doing what I need

This might be what the sensors I needed is ArduIMU+ V2 I just found it now

Thanks

t's going to have 4 motors and possibly about 4 sensors. Joystick input

Think an UNO with this shield might be a good start - don't know the specs of the motors used Check - http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/

Id look at parralex they have servo that can do continuous and you can readapt them.If you are going for size just get the mini but if you dont id just go with the uno i got my first uno off of maker shed in a kit for about 75 bucks and was ok they also sell the joystick.

the motors will be pretty large thats why i was planning on using some seperate speed controllers

they havent been picked out yet but around 12v @ 10amp

does the order that I have set up above make sense or is there a better way to do it

thanks

well Im going for the arduino It looks like it with all of its shields should do what i need.

I'm sure all be back with more questions later thanks

You shouldn't use that motor shield if the motors draw 10A.

4 H-Bridges: L293D chipset provides [u]0.6A per bridge (1.2A peak)[/u] with thermal shutdown protection, 4.5V to 36V

I cant run seventeen of them in parallel for each motor ;)

Thats why I was planning on making my own or buying some that can handle it

I was more talking about the extra shields with wireless and the acels and gyros

I just have the uno on the way I've got a lot to learn before im ready for the big motors.