Which Arduino for USB?

I'm planning to connect an old mobile phone (N95) to an Arduino over USB so I can use the hardware onboard the phone (accelerometer, GPS, Wifi) to build a Hexacopter without having to shell out for all the expensive bits.

My questions is simple enough, which Arduino board should I get?

I know there is only one with the built in USB host controller, the ADK board, but there are USB shields available. Is there any way I can use the existing USB, having the phone act as the host controller, to save money?

Essentially, I'll need to drive six motors and maybe three proximity sensors. Also, perhaps a movable payload for mounting a camera, but that's not essential at this stage.

Any thoughts from those more knowledgable than me?

Cheers.

I'm planning to connect an old mobile phone (N95) to an Arduino over USB so I can use the hardware onboard the phone (accelerometer, GPS, Wifi) to build a Hexacopter without having to shell out for all the expensive bits.

Think again. Your phone will act like a USB slave.

The Arduino is also a USB slave.

Two slaves can not talk to each other.

For the Arduino to communicate with/control the phone, you will need:

• A USB Host shield
  • A whole lot of talent and experience to write a driver
  • Not a small amount of luck.

Keep in mind that the GPS and accelerometer built into the phone are not exactly high-quality, high-precision devices.

My questions is simple enough, which Arduino board should I get?

Any of them that accept shields.

Is there any way I can use the existing USB, having the phone act as the host controller, to save money?

Well, certainly. If you can figure out how to make the phone act like something it isn't - a USB Host to be exact.

Essentially, I'll need to drive six motors and maybe three proximity sensors.

Those proximity sensors will be very useful for keeping your helicopter from bumping into things. Right?

Also, perhaps a movable payload for mounting a camera, but that's not essential at this stage.

Sure, dream big. Are you building a Huey?

Any thoughts from those more knowledgable than me?

Well, yeah. But, I'll keep them to myself. He-he.

So, no comments on the ADK board then? http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_12&products_id=144

Also, do the GPS and Accelerometer really need to be that precise? The Mega2560 is hardly the most powerful of things, so a stream of millimetre accuracy changes from the GPS would be generally redundant. The accelerometer on the other hand, was just an idea. If I can get it to work with the on board one then it would save me having to shell out on boards with Gyro and Accelerometer built in, but I'd probably go that way anyway.

I've already found USB host shields that come with the software, and I'm an experienced software engineer so I'm sure I'll get it to work. It may take some time though ;)

But, still at the planning stage, so hoping for some useful answers.

so a stream of millimetre accuracy changes from the GPS would be generally redundant.

Dream on.

I used to work for a marine navigation company and we wrote software that tracked literally thousands of pieces of equipment to millimetres of accuracy in the middle of the sea. While very complicated it's quite possible and I've seen it in action.

Now, anyone who actually knows anything, any comment?

Cheers.

darksnow: I used to work for a marine navigation company and we wrote software that tracked literally thousands of pieces of equipment to millimetres of accuracy in the middle of the sea. While very complicated it's quite possible and I've seen it in action.

Cheers.

on a 'duino!?!?!

mmcp42:

darksnow: I used to work for a marine navigation company and we wrote software that tracked literally thousands of pieces of equipment to millimetres of accuracy in the middle of the sea. While very complicated it's quite possible and I've seen it in action.

Cheers.

on a 'duino!?!?!

No mate, on very expensive custom kit that the company also designed. I just don't like sarcastic answers ;)

suspected as much! :)

suspected as much!

Probably wasn't using a cell phone GPS, either.