Which Arduino/shields for my project (home automation w/ WiFi)

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to all this Arduino stuff and overwhelmed with all the boards that have become available during the last years. It's a lot to filter for a beginner on this topic, so I need some advice on what to focus on.

Various shops sell key holders like this: https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amp-Key-Holder-Legato/dp/B018PRQ1BQ

I want to build something like this myself (wooden box, some sockets and plugs, not sure if I'd be going with audio), but "smarter". If I plug a key into one of the sockets (let's call them socket A to D), an Arduino should do a HTTP request to my smart home software that runs on a Raspberry (currently Pimatic, might be going back to OpenHAB), e.g. "key inserted into socket B" or "key removed from socket C".

In detail, I think it should work like this (assuming I'm going with headphone jacks):

• socket A (+) is connected to Arduino pin 1, socket A (-) to pin 2, and so on
  • when a key (resp. it's headphone jack) is inserted, both pins are connected (I might have to hack the jacks for this to work)
  • the script running on the Arduino monitors this connection; if it changes, a web service request is being made, using the socket and the connection state in the payload

In conclusion, I need an Arduino (size doesn't really matter) with WiFi connectivity, scripting help on how to detect that two certain pins are connected and on how to do web service requests. Bonus points if I can make LEDs on top of each sockets glow (but that should be fairly easy since it's basic tutorial stuff). I'm not new to programming and not too lazy ro read, I just can't filter out the correct setup for my case.

So, which Arduino is the right one for my project? What are my power source options?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

HoPi:
In conclusion, I need an Arduino (size doesn't really matter) with WiFi connectivity, scripting help on how to detect that two certain pins are connected and on how to do web service requests. Bonus points if I can make LEDs on top of each sockets glow (but that should be fairly easy since it's basic tutorial stuff).

All quite straightforward to do - lots of tutorials on how to detect a connection (button press or inserted jack are equivalent for that). Keep in mind that you can power only 1-2 LEDs per output pin directly. Anything more and you need a driver circuit.

So, which Arduino is the right one for my project? What are my power source options?

Look for NodeMCU or WeMOS boards. ESP8266 based, so not Arduino but with built-in WiFi. Most Arduino libraries work out of the box on this processor.
For power source, the easiest is a USB phone charger.

If you need more inputs, or want to do some heavy processing, check out the newer ESP32 based boards.