Which AVR chip to use for my project?

I want to make Atari joystick (5 wires plus ground so 5 inputs) to USB adapter to use the controller on PC. I've looked, it seems 32u4 has built in USB support but it does not come in DIP and it's a bit of a pain in the butt to wire deadbug on a small chip.

Is there other option? Maybe using ATTiny84 (9 IO pins if external clock is used, 4 available after I add in controller port) but most of ATTiny doesn't have its own serial pins. Can ATTiny bit bang over USB and fake itself as HID controller? The next smallest I could figure out is to use Arduino Pro board with built in USB.

DIP preferably for deadbug wiring, external clock is an option if the chip needs to run at specific frequency.

I think a 32u4 is the way to go. I'd use a micro or clone thereof. They're not that expensive, and save you from having to solder the and chip.

VUSB exists, but it's kinda flaky, and doesn't work with all usb hosts, and I'm not sure if it can be used from the arduino ide.

wilykat:
DIP preferably for deadbug wiring, external clock is an option if the chip needs to run at specific frequency.

Maybe a Arduino Micro is an option. Stick some headers on your PCB and stick the Micro board in there. Not sure if the footprint is the same as the Nano; in that case uou can use something like below for easy wiring.

Pin naming might ve wrong in that case :wink: