Which Bluetooth Module/Shield should use?

Hello,

This is my first time working with Bluetooth, so please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions here.

I have finished my lighting control device that controls light intensity by using Arduino Uno sending desired control signals (8-bit numbers) to program a PWM LED Driver (TL59731), which set the light intensity at wanted levels. Right now, in order to adjust the light level, I could either hard-code into my code or sending 0-10V control signal via an analogPin of the Arduino.

So now I want to advance my project by sending desired light levels (as 8-bit variables) into the Arduino Uno from my phone (Android) via Bluetooth protocol. Since there're so many Bluetooth Modules selling on the market, I really don't know which one I should buy and try. Some of my thoughts on the Bluetooth Module:

*Energy consumption is not my problem so I could use BLE or any *Distance is not my priority, but I hope to send data within 10 meters, so I should use class 2 Bluetooth? *I am a beginner in Android Developer so my ability to code in the platform is limited. If the module has an open source code/app that I can use for testing would be a plus. *Last but not least, budget is not my problem

I been reviewing the BlueFruit LE Shield Bluetooth Shield but unsure if it's a right fit.

Do you have any thought/ advice for me?

Thanks,

The older technology is HC-05 module.

The new technology is HM-10 module.

*Energy consumption is not my problem so I could use BLE or any

You would consider BLE if energy IS a problem, but I think you should consider it anyway. BLE is the way we will all be going.

*Distance is not my priority, but I hope to send data within 10 meters, so I should use class 2 Bluetooth?

No. You can but not should. A BLE device is just as useful over short distances, and more likely to get through walls etc.

*I am a beginner in Android Developer so my ability to code in the platform is limited. If the module has an open source code/app that I can use for testing would be a plus.

It doesn't, and doesn't need to. You may want to configure the module but may never actually need to. It is just a means of transmitting serial data that is a substitute for two bits of wire. There is no need for any special Arduino code either. It just talks to a serial port and neither knows nor cares if a bluetooth is connected to the other side. I assume you are developing an Android app for a unique need or just the intellectual execise, but you might check the excellent apps that are already available before you re-invent the wheel. One of the biggest threads on this forum is bluetooth joystick.

*Last but not least, budget is not my problem

Well, it's a relief to hear that you have lots of money. That might mean you can afford $3-28 for an HM-10, or even one of those things from Adafruit.

The above presupposes the phone has BLE. If it does not your BLE module reverts to BT2. This would not be a reason to get a BT 2.