Which communication method is better ?

Hi i want to do a project that is needed many arduino than 50+. Fist i want to put arduino(nano or pro mini) in to a mat and through single core wire to provide power to each connected mats. Last i would use esp32 as the master to require data with arduino. The square mat is 30x30 cm that the combined shape is not specific. So i have a question which communication method is better ?

I want to use cheap solution so i think of i2c or rs485(can bus is not cheap) amd NRF24L01, can any one give me some advice ?

Hi,

• What distances are your mats and master apart?
  • What is the application?
  • What do you mean by "single core wire"?
  • Wired or wireless communication?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

TomGeorge: Hi,

• What distances are your mats and master apart?
  • What is the application?
  • What do you mean by "single core wire"?
  • Wired or wireless communication?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

Hi 1.That distance would over 10m(depend on room range). 2.The application is use for positioning through pressure switch. 3.The single core wire is mean solid conductors, that is my usually use wire. 4.I don't care wired or wireless i just want to fine suitable solution.

I think ZigBee or WiFi are good choices for you

www933303:
Hi i want to do a project that is needed many arduino than 50+.
Fist i want to put arduino(nano or pro mini) in to a mat and through single core wire to provide power to each connected mats.
Last i would use esp32 as the master to require data with arduino.
The square mat is 30x30 cm that the combined shape is not specific.
So i have a question which communication method is better ?

You need to provide a lot more information.

The word “mat” suggests a thing that people stand on which also suggests that it needs to be robust and capable of dealing with moisture and dirt.

What is the purpose of the communication?
How do you envisage that your system will work?
How many messages per second need to be transmitted?
What size is a single message?
What is the data in a message?
Where is the data coming from and going to?

(these are just some initial questions)

…R

www933303: Hi i want to do a project that is needed many arduino than 50+. So i have a question which communication method is better ?

Your problem is not the communication method but the protocol, that prevents 50+ Arduinos speaking all at the same time. So a crucial question is: how much information is sent when - all the time or only on a local event?

DrDiettrich: Your problem is not the communication method but the protocol, that prevents 50+ Arduinos speaking all at the same time. So a crucial question is: how much information is sent when - all the time or only on a local event?

I would defined each arduino Id that Id is represent a position like 1,2,3 and when detect people touch mat that arduino send Id, so data very little, and date would going to esp32 and up to my database throug WiFi on esp32 .

www933303: I would defined each ...

And how about answers to the questions in Reply #4 ?

...R

By mat I am assuming you meed a grid. There are a lot of possible answers to your question. Initially it sounds like you are building a cluster but not sure. You could use Ethernet (the old 5 mb) operated over coax cable (single core) wire. That went form station to station. If you go to a pair the current Ethernet, will give you some relative blazing speed. You need more then one wire for !2C and RS485 has limits. To set practical and measurable limits for RS-485 output drivers, the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA)/Electronic Industries Alliance (EIA)-485 standard created a hypothetical “unit load,” and then limited the maximum number of unit loads that can be presented to any driver on an RS-485 bus to 32. The standard states that a driver must be able to drive a minimum 1.5 differential signal across a maximum of 32 unit loads in parallel with two 120Ω termination resistors. If you use the Max drivers, some only present 1/4 load. The speed is will control the number of nodes you use. You might want to get the Arduino Cookbook and read it for more information.