Which component for home automation push buttons? OneWire DS2408?

Hi,

Next week I need to put all wires on my house's walls before plasters. I need to decide how I'm going to link my wall push buttons to my arduino board. The best way, a direct wire from the button to the arduino, would be the most reliable and simple way. But for some reasons I have to make a bus for places where I can't put enough wires.

I saw that the DS2408 One wire component would do the trick (see http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/4849), but as far as I know One Wire suffers from slow speed. Could somebody tell me wether the latency of a DS2408 would be acceptable for a ceiling light push button use (in normal mode, not the parasitic one) ? Is there another "cheap" component that could do the trick?

Thanks by advance

If this is wiring you're building into the fabric of your house, I'd aim to use a standard wiring/connection scheme and make sure there was ample scope for expansion. Cat5, for example, would probably do all that you could ever need (and more) in terms of hard-wired buttons, and also introduces the possibility of going to a networked approach later. And the junction boxes and cables and wires are cheap and easily available.