Which Gyroscope/Accelerometer?

Hello all,

ATM I'm planning a quadrocopter, a flying robot. For the first steps into this project I want to make it float in a certain height. So I'm going to order the motors and so on, and now, here's the question concerning the sensors. First, the robot will only get gyroscopes and accelerometers. So, if you ask google, you'll get many different parts, some combined, some not. I would like to ask you; what are your experiences? Which would you recommend?

Thank you!

ITG-3200 and BMA180 is a proven combination, supported by most of the quadcopter software I've encountered

Thank you! I guess the ITG-3200 will make it. But for the accelerometer, is it necessary to have such an expensive one? On ebay it's about $100, i found cheaper ones, e.g. MMA7361. is the BMA worth it?

BMA180 costs $7 if you buy from Digikey...

Hmm okey, thank you :) You think they're better than the MMAs? You know, the cheap stores don't have it in stock unfortunately :( ;)

Another question, do you think its better/recommended to have the gyro ON the axis? I mean ON the cross-chassis of the quadrocopter.

Most of the quadcopter firmware out there supports both X and + modes, + mode is easier for beginners

I've never used the MMA family, I can't give you a comparison

frank26080115: BMA180 costs $7 if you buy from Digikey...

Buy them now, because once Digikey has depleted their current stock, they're only going to sell them in full reels...I spoke to them about this last week.

wayneft:

frank26080115: BMA180 costs $7 if you buy from Digikey...

Buy them now, because once Digikey has depleted their current stock, they're only going to sell them in full reels...I spoke to them about this last week.

I just switched my next two quadcopter designs over to using MPU-60x0 instead, cdiweb sells them in singles for $15 each

I didn't recommend it since I don't think anybody has used it yet, it's really new

Thank you for your answers.

What about the IMU Digital Combo Board - 6 Degrees of Freedom ITG3200/ADXL345?

My quadrocopter should be as cheap as possible, and now i found the ITG3200 is not that cheap too, the difference to the IMU Combo Board is marginal.

Oh, i just found a 6DOF with the ITG3200 and the BMA180, that should be perfect :) so problem solved!

GoingForGold: Oh, i just found a 6DOF with the ITG3200 and the BMA180, that should be perfect :) so problem solved!

With questions like these you should always report your solution (i.e. where you found your 6DOF). There are going to be others with the same question and they'll be left wondering what you found.

Chagrin: With questions like these you should always report your solution (i.e. where you found your 6DOF). There are going to be others with the same question and they'll be left wondering what you found.

yeah sure, but i just googled "6DOF BMA180" and found some shops, i didnt bother further, so ATM i don't know a shop so far ;) but i know youre right, i hate it when i find threads where someone found the solution and then is nowhere to be seen.