Which IR sensor for bright sunlight?

I need an IR sensor to detect movement to a distance of about 60 inches. It must have both an IR emitter and a transistor to the receive the reflected light in a single unit like the TRCT 5000, because of the way it will be deployed. The TRCT 5000 won't work because the unit will be used in bright sunlight.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a specific sensor?

The unit will have to detect a piece of white cardstock moving at a distance of about 60", then trigger a relay. If there is a better sensor for this application, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks, Chas.

The LIDAR-Lite works VERY well indoors, and is said to work well in bright sunlight.

Ordinarily I'd suggest a TSSP4038 for immunity to ambient light, but I'm not sure you can get reliable reflection of IR off a white card at that distance with any type of IR sensor. You'd also need a location where nothing else was in the area -- a wide area -- that would be capable of reflecting the IR light.

Jremington's suggestion of a LIDAR or perhaps an ultrasonic sensor would be the way to go. Optical recognition with a CMUcam would work as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

The application is a reactive target for pistol matches. I read the various threads dealing with detecting the passage of a bullet within a specific scoring area and it doesn't appear that anyone came up with a solution.

In our matches, we use cardboard targets. My idea is to have a 6"X12" card stock tapped to the top of the cardboard target and hanging down the back. The card stock will be covering the scoring area of the cardboard target. When a bullet passes through the cardboard target in the scoring area, the card stock will swing backwards and this is the movement I need the Arduino to detect and trigger a relay.

The sensor needs to be mounted at the bottom of the target stand to make it less likely to get shot. If it would help, I could mount PVC pipe over the sensor to cut down on the area it would be "seeing," if the pipe wouldn't trigger the sensor.

(I mentioned white card stock, but it can be any color if that would help. It could even be tan, black or any other color cardboard if that would be better.)

Does my design sound feasible, or do I need to start over? (We have all of the mechanical aspects worked out and tested, including accounting for wind blowing the card stock.)

Thanks again guys, Chas.

Try it and see.

See http://www.righto.com/2010/03/detecting-ir-beam-break-with-arduino-ir.html -- again try TSSP4038 for the detector. The LED should be a TSAL6100 or equivalent, 940nm IR LED.

If you'll accept a fallback plan of putting the LED and receiver on opposite sides of the target then I'll guarantee that'll work. If it gets hit that's only a loss of a few feet of wire and a $.20 LED so not a big deal.

Chagrin: See http://www.righto.com/2010/03/detecting-ir-beam-break-with-arduino-ir.html -- again try TSSP4038 for the detector. The LED should be a TSAL6100 or equivalent, 940nm IR LED.

If you'll accept a fallback plan of putting the LED and receiver on opposite sides of the target then I'll guarantee that'll work. If it gets hit that's only a loss of a few feet of wire and a $.20 LED so not a big deal.

Thanks! I'm fine with putting the LED and receiver on opposite sides of the target, since the components are so cheap. I can put one at the base of the target stand and one over the top of the target by several inches. This would have the beam broken by the widest part of the moving card stock. If I put the LED and receiver on the sides of the target, then beam may not be broken by the passing of the thin card stock, unless the beam is much narrower than I believe.

Thanks again, I think you've given me the answer.

Chas.

Since the issue of detecting a bullet passing through a target has been the subject of other threads, I want to give an update. It may save others some time.

We field tested the mechanical part of the target system that would "trigger" the IR sensor and it was was a failure. The card stock didn't move at all when the bullet passed through. We tried again with cardboard and then Coroplast, but still no success. The cardboard moved, but very little. Coroplast was better, but the amount of movement was still not to be detectable by an IR sensor.

Oh well, it's back to the drawing board. :confused:

Thanks for the help folks. Chas.

A photo would help....

Did you consider using silver foil backed card, for better reflection (just wrap it in kitchen/Alu foil to test)

Putting the IR remiiter in black shrink wrap & only shrinking the bit below the bulb, will help. (or any small black tube)

The TSSP4038 is what I would use, but seeing hte setup would help a lot. Sending a modulated IR carrier @38kHz is important for the TSSP4038.

It sounds like you are trying to reflect the IR. Another way is to configure as a beam break.

....photo!

use one mic attached to the target can tell a hit. using 3 or 4,(not attached to taget) you can even tell position.