which kind of sensor is this?

Hello all,

I am trying to rewire an old joystick (logitech wingman interceptor) to send input to an arduino board.
Most controls are simple buttons, and there is a potentiometer for the thrust control.

However, I have no idea of which sensors are used for the X and Y axes. Some kind RVDTs?
They are indicated by the arrows in the picture. Underneath each of those plastic “triangles”, which pivot around the center, is attached a metal plate.

With the circuit powered up, I couldn’t find any pin on the board that respond to joystick movement.

Extensive google search didn’t help, I hope someone here have seen something similar and got any idea how to use this thing.

Thanks!

Luc

What function did they have with the original use? That would tell you if they were simple switches or what.

Paul

They are the "main" sensors of the joystick. They sense how much the stick is moved around (one per axis, X and Y).
Referring to this: Potentiometer Joystick, Hall Effect Joystick, Inductive Joystick & Optical Joystick from CTI Electronics
I would guess either Hall Effect or Inductive sensor?

l_r:
They are the "main" sensors of the joystick. They sense how much the stick is moved around (one per axis, X and Y).
Referring to this: Potentiometer Joystick, Hall Effect Joystick, Inductive Joystick & Optical Joystick from CTI Electronics
I would guess either Hall Effect or Inductive sensor?

Probably more of a capacitive sensor, based on the circuit board pattern.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Probably more of a capacitive sensor, based on the circuit board pattern.

Paul

Concentric rectangles = inductor, not capacitor!

The advertising for this joystick mentions “Net-2 magnetic encoding” whatever that is.

i am betting on capacitors and a frequency sensitive circuit.

Paul

There are capacitors nearby the rectangular "coils" (opposite side of the circuit, not visible in the photo).
I do not see any magnets. The metal plates seem just.. metal.
Any idea of tests I could do to learn something more on how it works?
L

l_r:
There are capacitors nearby the rectangular "coils" (opposite side of the circuit, not visible in the photo).
I do not see any magnets. The metal plates seem just.. metal.
Any idea of tests I could do to learn something more on how it works?
L

Sure! Power it up and use your oscilloscope to examine all the signals in the area of the "coils".

Paul

It seems all the lines are either 5V or GND, possibly the chip activates the board only when it's properly connected to a pc gameport? Maybe I can find somewhere an old computer with that port..

I was hoping for a simpler beginner project here.. :smiley:

If you can't find any tutorial on how to do it, or even a video/blog/other reference of someone claiming to have done it, chances are that it can't be done (or that it's so hard it's simply not worth the effort).

After all, it's extremely unlikely that you have an idea no-one else has had already, and tried.