Which LilyPad to use - noob

I’m starting to prototype a wearable device that needs to connect to Win/OSX/Linux via bluetooth and imitate a pointing device.

I think the LilyPad Arduino USB is the right board for me. I would like to connect it with the Bluetooth Mate Gold or Silver. To which pins do I need to connect on the Lilypad?

The plan is to have 2 buttons and a led connected to the Lilypad. Will I have enough pins left?

Any help will be much appreciated.

The Bluetooth Mate Gold or Silver will only do serial I/O. You can’t connect them to the USB connector on a LilyPad Arduino USB and use that as a pointing device.

I would connect an Arduino Leonardo (or other USB-capable Arduino) to the PC and use a simple one-way radio to send motion information from the wearable to the Leonardo. For the wearable, almost any small Arduino or clone will do, like a Mini or Nano.

Sorry, my question wan’t clear.

I like the “LilyPad Arduino USB” because the existing USB connector makes it easier to download programs onto the device. I wasn’t thinking of connecting the Bluetooth model into it.

I’ll rephrase my questions:

• Can I connect the Bluetooth Mate Gold to the LilyPad Arduino USB (using wires)?
  • How many available pins will I have left to connect additional devices such as buttons and leds?

Thanks.

The LilyPad Arduino USB has 9 pins. Five can be used for PWM output and the other four can be used for analog inputs.

It has no connections for the hardware serial port so you need two data pins for SoftwareSerial to talk to your Bluetooth Mate.

That leaves you with 7 pins for buttons and LEDs. If you need more buttons or LEDs there are many techniques for expanding the capability of an Arduino. Three data pins connected to a shift register will give you eight outputs for more LEDs. Multiple buttons can connect to a single analog input as long as only one is pressed at a time.

So the part about "imitate a pointing device" is no longer part of the requirements?

Thanks again :)

I assumed the bluetooth module will allow me to be seen as pointing device to the operating system. Not sure if I even need this. What I'm looking for is to imitate specific keystrokes when clicking the 2-3 buttons attached to the Lilypad. Is that doable?

idophir: I assumed the bluetooth module will allow me to be seen as pointing device to the operating system.

As I said in my first reply: the Bluetooth Mate Gold only lets you be seen as a serial port.

What inputs do you want to generate?

I would like to send simple keyboard strokes - for example: left and right arrows.

As far as I understand from reading the Bluetooth Mate manual - the OS will be able to find my device, connect to it using a phrase-code and start using it. Will I then be able to send right/left keyboard strokes that will affect whichever application that is active at that time?

Thanks so much for helping.

idophir: Will I then be able to send right/left keyboard strokes that will affect whichever application that is active at that time?

No. You will be able to read from the Bluetooth Mate as if it were a serial port. You would have to write a program for the PC that would translate whatever serial messages are received from that serial port into keystrokes.

The Arduino Leonardo and other ATmega32u4-based Arduinos can emulate a keyboard if directly attached to the PC via USB.

You really saved me some valuable time.

I guess this is the answer: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10938

Thanks.