Which Mulitmeter: Rigol DM3085E OR Keithley 2110

Hi all,

I ve decided to purchase a bench multimeter for my electronics lab and came across two new open box and I cant decide between them..

The Rigol DM3058E

OR

Keithley 2110-220

Both seems to have very similar specs, both almost new while the Keithley seems to be a bit more expensive and with a tatty box. I also seem to prefer the Rigol HMI but I am also aware of the Keithley's excellent references!

I would welcome any comments, views, suggestions you might have on the above...

Hi Do you mean the DM3058?

I was hoping that Dave at eevblog on YouTube had done a video on them, but can't find anything for those models. Has videos for those brands and other models if you want to check his channel.

Tom.. :)

Hello,

I have looked at both meters specs, and I am assuming you mean the Keitley 2110-220 because that's the only specs google provided on my search.

I bought a RIGOL Digital oscilloscope just a few months ago, and I am still impressed daily about the capabilities of it. I added a current clamp for it, with BNC connector, witch greatly improved the functionality with 4 channels. But I assume you already have an oscilloscope.

The first thing that surprised me about these benchmeters is the pretty high price, but that seems to be justified again when looking at the specs. They really are very accurate meters, and great to do 4 wire resistant measurements. The one thing that I can't understand is that the RIGOL needs a "warm-up" time of 30mins while the Keitley doesn't even mention any "warm-up" time. Although I personally have never heard of the Keitley brand, witch doesn't mean a thing, since allot of companies have merged, changed their name and other things in this industry over the past years I would go for the Keitley, it provides excellent PC software included. I'm sure RIGOL has PC software too, but I didn't see anything mentioned of it in the datasheet. Maybe somebody else has. My oscilloscoop came with a CD, mainly to connect to my LAN and then connect my PC to the oscilloscope.

:D

I personally would be happy with either one of these great Multimeter Benches

TomGeorge: Hi Do you mean the DM3058?

I was hoping that Dave at eevblog on YouTube had done a video on them, but can't find anything for those models. Has videos for those brands and other models if you want to check his channel.

Yes , i meant the DM3058E. Mistake corrected.

Mikeb1970: Hello,

I have looked at both meters specs, and I am assuming you mean the Keitley 2110-220 because that's the only specs google provided on my search.

I bought a RIGOL Digital oscilloscope just a few months ago, and I am still impressed daily about the capabilities of it. I added a current clamp for it, with BNC connector, witch greatly improved the functionality with 4 channels. But I assume you already have an oscilloscope.

The first thing that surprised me about these benchmeters is the pretty high price, but that seems to be justified again when looking at the specs. They really are very accurate meters, and great to do 4 wire resistant measurements. The one thing that I can't understand is that the RIGOL needs a "warm-up" time of 30mins while the Keitley doesn't even mention any "warm-up" time. Although I personally have never heard of the Keitley brand, witch doesn't mean a thing, since allot of companies have merged, changed their name and other things in this industry over the past years I would go for the Keitley, it provides excellent PC software included. I'm sure RIGOL has PC software too, but I didn't see anything mentioned of it in the datasheet. Maybe somebody else has. My oscilloscoop came with a CD, mainly to connect to my LAN and then connect my PC to the oscilloscope.

:D

I personally would be happy with either one of these great Multimeter Benches

Yes, a,ready have a Rigol 2000 series MSO and Iam very happy with it. I alao have a fluke 289 which runs out if batteries all the time and goes on standby mode ..which is partly why i am going for a bench DMM.The other reason is 4 wire resistance measurement.

It would probably help google searches if you spelt Keithley correctly!!

Although I personally have never heard of the Keitley brand,

Its one of the oldest test gear companies out there, now part of Tektronix.

I cannot comment on the Rigol nor this particular Keithley. However I will say Keithley bench meters are excellent.

I originally thought Keithley was an lesser product compared to the then HP equipment. However I've since learned the Keithley products are extremely reliable and accurate. We've had about a dozen of various types (some very old) all of which held up to a lab environment testing automotive systems (fairly rough service).

As is said I cannot comment on the Rigol, however I am confident you can't go wrong with the Keithley.

BTW the Keithley 2100 and 2700 series require a warm up period to get to the specified accuracy. However unless you are measuring signal that require you to be very accurate this should not be of concern.

Anyone had experience / views of the Siglent SDM 3000 series of bench multimeters?

Hi,

https://www.eevblog.com/2015/12/12/eevblog-829-siglent-sdm3055-bench-multimeter-teardown/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXZ5IezdP0