WHICH of the two sensor in better..

HI GUYS can you help me out here to choose which of the two color sensor is better to use… thanks…
it will be used to analyze the amount of fluorescence of materials. thanks :slight_smile:

Attached here are their datasheets

s9706_kpic1060e08.pdf (178 KB)

s11059-01wt_kpic1074e04.pdf (208 KB)

Wikipedia about fluorescence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence

I assume that for fluorescence, you use a UV light source, and that there is very little light. So you need a very sensitive sensor.

S9706: 12-bit S11059: 16-bit Both are for 3.3V. The datasheets are hard to compare, since the sensitivity is in different units. But the S11059 has a larger range of colors, and is more sensitive.

However, if it's sensitivity is enough to detect fluorescence colors ? ... I don't know. You have to try that, or find an example of someone who did that already.

even though u cant use the infrared readings in ur application, i think, the s11059 would be better (if 1LSB translates to 1count)... u could detect red light that is as bright as a "quarter moon" with it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

maybe a lense could help to amplify the fluorescence reply of ur sample?

since the output of a ultra-violet LED changes over its life-time, u might want to calibrate ur sensor from time to time... do u have samples that have a known and stable fluorescence?

RIDDICK,

Thanks for the program that you've written on my previous post, IT WORKS!!!! :D

yes I have a sample that has a stable fluorescence, it the QUININE SULFATE... it will be used to calibrate the sensor.. THANK YOU..

KRODAL,

THANKS for giving your opinion for choosing the better sensor.. THANKS :)

if I use the formula Luminance(Y) = 0.2126R + 0.7152G + 0.0722B… and convert the readings of my sensor from 0 to 255…
does the result is in unit of LUX?
thanks… :slight_smile:

good to read that my 1st attempt to talk I2C was ok... :-)

i dont think that "Relative luminance" and "illuminance" (="luminous emittance") is the same...

i think the ratios R/G and R/B r quite interesting for u, isnt it? did u try to "look" at the q-sulfate from different angles? the ratios should b the same then... what if u use ur own unit that is defined by the response of that q-sulfate? what values do u get? i mean: do u get numbers below 100?