Which sensor for measure plant touch

Hi everyone,

I want to measure a touch on a plant. What sensors would you guys recommend?
A capacitive sensor should do but I have no idea which one suits best.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Daniel

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

What do you mean by "I want to measure a touch on a plant"?
What is the application?

Tom... :slight_smile:

I’d use maybe an ultra sensitive accelerometer. Capacivve touch is kindly shaky because plants are not that conductive. Maybe photo LEDs, calibrate to setting, change trigger… nevermind

Maybe this instructable can give you some inspiration (note: use with care, instructables are known for often containing serious errors).

mattlogue:
I'd use maybe an ultra sensitive accelerometer. Capacivve touch is kindly shaky because plants are not that conductive. Maybe photo LEDs, calibrate to setting, change trigger.. nevermind

All living things ought to be conductive enough for capacitive sensors because cells have ion-transporting proteins in their cell membranes. Whether a thin leaf is thick enough is a good question though, touch sensors are tuned to be sensitive enough for a finger. For instance a piece of fruit works on a touchpad (try it).

Note that bark is not living, so a woody plant may not work whereas a succulent should. I suspect some
experimentation will be needed.

Hi Daniel

The MyoWare muscle sensor can work with plants/fungi, etc.

Have you looked at the possibilities of a 555 timer(galvanometer) + AtMega? If you have an Arduino (Uno, Micro, or anyuino!), you can easily build the Galvanometer circuit using only a 555, 100k resistor, .0022uF cap, and an LED (plus decoupling caps and jumper wires)

I've built my own bio-data recording/sonification boards based off Sam Cusumano's MIDI Sprout
This circuit is able to detect micro fluctuations in conductivity between approximately 1 Khz and 100 Khz of a duration/1,000 to 100,000th of a second.
see here for all things related to biodata/sonification recording and output

If you are curious - here is a link to trees/fungi biodata recordings translated to MIDI

and

Hi Nanotopia,

Do you have any examples of how to use the myoware sensor on plants?