which shield goes first

Hi would like to ask is there any preference of shields to goes first n top of the microcontroller?
I have a uno, a motor shield and a usb shield, so not sure which should go on top of uno first or there is no preference?

Got links to the shields?

I havent try to connect them physically yet as I do not know whether to tier them from uno to motor shield to usb shield or uno to usb shield to motor shield?

also after stacking the three of them up, how to I connect to the pin from uno (eg. pin 9 or tx/rx)? it is be used by the shield on top.

CrossRoads:

, so not sure which should go on top of uno first or there is no preference?

The only time that order matters is if one of the shields has an antenna, like a GPS shield or an XBee shield. The one with the antenna goes on top.

Hi,

Means do you have internet links to data/specifications of the shields.
There are so many that you can get you will have to be specific.

Whether you can even stack them in three layers depends on what pins are used by what shield.

For example both shelds might use the same pin, but for different purposes.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

here the link:

uno: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11021
usb shield: http://www.dx.com/p/funduino-usb-host-shield-module-supports-uno-mega-for-google-android-adk-blue-313482#.VlBbg7_KpTA
motor shield: Motor Driver Shield L293D

so which should go first on the uno? can I still use the pins on the uno after the shields have been stacked?

TomGeorge:
Hi,Means do you have internet links to data/specifications of the shields.
There are so many that you can get you will have to be specific.

Whether you can even stack them in three layers depends on what pins are used by what shield.

For example both shelds might use the same pin, but for different purposes.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Those shields are incompatible. The motor shield uses the PWM ability on pin 11 and the USB host shield uses that pin for SPI. Neither can be moved to a different pin as the motor shield is already using all of the available UNO PWM pins and the SPI data cannot (or at least should not) be moved to another pin.

If you decided that you weren't going to use Motor 2 (the 3rd motor) then you could do it. It would take a little modification on the motor shield to move Dir_Latch to another pin as that is also on one of the SPI pins. A spare analog pin can be used as a digital output if required.

You would also need to cut the jumper on the USB shield which connects SS to pin 10 (used by motor 1 PWM) and use the provided pad to wire this across to a different pin. Once again, an analog pin can be used.

Or the two shields will work on an Arduino Due, as the Due's SPI pins are not 11, 12, 13 and it looks like that USB shield has the correct connections to the SPI pins on the ISP connector in the middle of the board. In that case, the USB shield has to go closest to the Arduino as the motor shield doesn't pass those pins through to the shield above it. SS would still need to be changed. There are other reasons NOT to choose a Due, so this is not really a serious proposal.

saw from the net that the motor shield can support 4 dc motors and 1 servo that why I bought it. can I still build a rc toy car with fpv with these boards? was hoping to control it with a ps3 controller.

any advice?