Which Transistor provides 2 or 3A at 5V?

Hi. Does anybody know which regulator could I use to get 2 or 3A at 5v?

I'm using the 7805 but its not enough since I'm using 1200mA.

Tks so much

BR

cabecinhas:
Hi. Does anybody know which regulator could I use to get 2 or 3A at 5v?

I’m using the 7805 but its not enough since I’m using 1200mA.

There are various 7805 voltage regulators and some will do >= 2A but your best option is to visit a site like Mouser and use there search facilities. If you turn on smart filtering here and select 5V output voltage it will narrow the options. Then select a suitable output current and filter the results and you have a short-list of suitable devices.

One common way to get a high current regulator is use a regulator chip that takes an external pass-transistor to boost the current. The datasheets give example uses (and suggest transistors)

But that begs the question what is the incoming voltage - does it need to be low drop out?

There are various 7805 voltage regulators and some will do >= 2A but your best option is to visit a site like Mouser and use there search facilities. If you turn on smart filtering here and select 5V output voltage it will narrow the options. Then select  a suitable output current and filter the results and you have a short-list of suitable devices.

Thank you very much. I'll check this out. Thank you!

But that begs the question what is the incoming voltage - does it need to be low
drop out?

Hi.. Actually no doesn't need to be low drop out. I will try to find a 3A regulator... Thank you so much