Which wireless printer server to buy?

Has anyone used a wireless printer server at home? We have 3 computers at home and I want them to all print without having to dedicate one computer as the printer server. Can someone suggest a wireless printer server you used? Thanks.

Instead of wireless, have you considered a printer with a built-in print server?

For example, we plugged this into our router, installed the printer driver on the client computers, and it worked... http://www.amazon.com/B431DN-LED-Printer-Monochrome-Desktop/dp/B004YQ9S90/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319309307&sr=1-2

Thanks! I already have a Canon printer (bit less than $200) so I'll take a look at Canon website to see what they offer. The printer is a bit far from the router.

Edit: ouch! $100 for a wireless adapter at Canon. Then even the most popular wireless print adapters don't get nearly high enough reviews.

for $100 you could also consider to buy lan over powerline adapters.

• are more expensive (check ebay)
  • work transparantly,
  • can be extended easily with extra adapters,
  • have a better range than wlan (my experience)
  • 200 Mbit (in theory)

I have an HP 6988 (from Wallmart I believe) photo quality inkjet, and a Lexmark 4039 10+ laser printer. Both have Ethernet and that's what I use. I have no problem accessing either through my wireless access point. The 6988 has bluetooth and 802.11 internally, but I have that disabled.

You can find wireless routers with USB printer attachment capability.

Thanks. I have a “newer” wireless router so will look into getting a new one maybe in a while. The last one I had blew a cap. I didn’t have enough electronics skills to fix it, back then.

I have an Airport Extreme for wifi, and an Airport Express as a print server. Works flawless, and easy to set up. I would say check out the airport express.

Jeremy1998: I have an Airport Extreme for wifi, and an Airport Express as a print server. Works flawless, and easy to set up. I would say check out the airport express.

Is airport for apple?

I'm using an old airport express, it uses zeroconf, and while i've not used it with windows for a number of years, most recent linux distros discover it without any issue as of course does mac os. If you use iTunes you can stream audio to the 3.5mm socket too.

My new router (netgear N600) has 2 USB ports which can be used for printers, there are many others around too.

DLINK routers have the shareport function.
It makes a virtual usb port so you can use it for printers, scanners and harddrives.
Downsite only one pc at a time can use it, but access can be transferred from one pc or mac to the other.
Just tried it and it works.

liudr:

Jeremy1998: I have an Airport Extreme for wifi, and an Airport Express as a print server. Works flawless, and easy to set up. I would say check out the airport express.

Is airport for apple?

Made by apple, but it works great for PC as well. In fact, I'm on a PC.