Who can help an absolute beginner connect a motor? :)

Hello,

I'm supposed to do a project for school (a design project - not programming)

And I'm stuck on the silly simple things - that should be simple ....but aren't yet for me.

I hope you can help me with that.

So, I have an Arduino, a motor (6-14V), a orange thingy (yebb, that's how much newbie I am!!!) and some batteries.

But how do I connect it all without frying the arduino? :D

I've seen many "how-to's", but they all have breadboards.

Can you help me?

Maria and Moon (the robot)

Hey, Where did you get this stuff?? Did you get any information??

It looks like some of the new stuff from tinker.it the original builders of Arduino boards..

But tinker.it and www.tinker.it seems to have disappeared?? Hmmm...

You need information on what those parts ARE, first...

I hope you can help me with that.

Use a google advanced search of the forum for terms like motor, MOSFET, H-bridge and similar, and read the many previous post in this forum section to develop some background knowledge on the subject.

Or a high resolution photo of the orange thing so we can read the part number(s)...

Try this for the motor driver. http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=108

Ah, worked out the orange board is a MOSFET breakout. You can drive the motor in one direction with speed control with these components. You wire the MOSFET/motor as for the standard relay driving circuit (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/InterfacingWithHardware#Electrical_High_Power will provide info), and drive the MOSFET from a PWM pin. Then analogWrite() can be used to control motor speed.

If you want the motor to run both directions an H-bridge motor driver circuit is required, rather than one transistor/MOSFET.

The big board is a sheild of course so just plug that into the arduino.

As for the little board it will connect to the sheild in one of the OUTPUT connectors with the 3 wire cable which looks like it has alignment guides. Use the one that is used in the sketch for now.

The board looks like it can be tested without hooking up the motor or battery. There seems to be an led to indicate the state of the output that drives the board. Just load the sketch that is shown on the page I linked to and the led should blink. If Bear in mind that the first character for declaring an output pin is not a number zero 0 but the letter O so it is O0 or O1 and that pins are “mapped” by that beginning definition.

The markings for the big green 4 post connector are not shown but should have a + and a - for the battery and maybe M+ and M- for the motor.
Do not reverse the battery connections to reverse the motor just the M ones.

Hope this helps.