Why Arduino doesn't answer?

I bought Arduino Uno two days ago.
I have Macintosh PowerBook with MacOS 10.8.5

My Arduino doesn't work. I says there is a compilation error; software recognized my hardware and it knows which port it is connected to.

I've read thousands of forums; I've restarted my computer hundreds of times; I've downloaded software many times; I entered Terminal to change my settings about USB ports (and I'm afraid if I have broken something doing that)... and always the same stupid message:

/Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0043 -ide-version=10812 -build-path /var/folders/6p/505dcbss42v3z5vt_zzlpz880000gn/T/arduino_build_185800 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/6p/505dcbss42v3z5vt_zzlpz880000gn/T/arduino_cache_967530 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/Users/albertoperezpuyal/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-4.8.1-arduino5.path=/Users/albertoperezpuyal/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/Users/albertoperezpuyal/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.0.1-arduino5.path=/Users/albertoperezpuyal/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5 -verbose /var/folders/6p/505dcbss42v3z5vt_zzlpz880000gn/T/untitled96746033.tmp/sketch_feb25a/sketch_feb25a.ino
dyld: Symbol not found: _fdopendir$INODE64
Referenced from: /Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder
Expected in: flat namespace

/Users/albertoperezpuyal/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder retornó 133

Error compilando para la tarjeta Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Finally I decided to contact Arduino Team but... it doesn't exist. They recommend forum as the best way to contact them... AMAZING!!!! I'm terribly upset. I'm losing my time using this stupid device.

When I buy a dishwasher and I have problems there is a group of people listening to me in order to solve my problem. But Arduino is different: they wash their hands and say "up to you".

Why nobody answer from Arduino company?

I decided to contact Arduino Team but… it doesn’t exist.

Some mistake, surely?

Who made the forum?
Who made the IDE?

I guess there is somebody there but item continues out of order and I have to solve problems by myself.

A device so simple would not give this headaches. Really, I'm trying it but no solution works. Or they should advice that it doesn't work with Mac.

alpuyal:
A device so simple would not give this headaches.

I think you underestimate just how complex Apple products really are.

(deleted)

I bought a fake Arduino (chinese version with that chip named Ch340 (or something similar)). I tried to connect it to my Macbook Pro (mid 2012; OS 10.8.5) but it failed. No port was recognized. I changed a code into my computer (using these two webs:

https://bricolabs.cc/wiki/guias/mac_os_y_ch340

(I know; they are in spanish but the matter was to try to enable a USB port changing a code in Terminal Utilities). I did it but no result. I tried my fake Arduino in my son's computer (XP Windows; no results either (computer doesn't recognize any device).

Then I read there where fake Arduinos and I realized mine was one of them. I bought a real one (in a specialized shop). Now, GREAT!, I can find my USB port connected to my real Arduino (in any of my computers: my computer and my son's one) but program can't compile any code. So, anyway, I can't do anything.

I only tried to show my son how nowadays you can control some devices using software and a proper inputs and outputs. But I only got spent hours trying to do something as simple as blinking a led light.

alpuyal:
I have Macintosh PowerBook with MacOS 10.8.5

alpuyal:
dyld: Symbol not found: _fdopendir$INODE64

My research indicates this problem is caused by you using too old a version of macOS. I believe we are now using Go 1.13, which requires macOS 10.10 or newer.

If you can't update your macOS version, try using Arduino IDE 1.8.11. You can download it here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases

alpuyal:
Why nobody answer from Arduino company?

I work for Arduino, and I'm here answering you only 3 hours after you posted.

alpuyal:
I bought a real one

Thanks!

I've downloaded version 1.8.11. No way. Same result.

Thanks for your attention. But I guess I'm not the only one having this problem and I never have had all these problems with a device made for enthusiast of electronics. Perhaps I'm too old. I go to bed and I do hope tomorrow the shop will accept my device as return. I'll buy another one after having three or four computer engineering Degrees.

alpuyal:
Same result.

OK, support for macOS 10.8 was dropped in Go 1.11, and Arduino IDE 1.8.11 used, I believe Go 1.12, so that’s not a big surprise. Next, I would recommend trying Arduino IDE 1.8.9, from the same page I linked above. If that doesn’t work, keep rolling back through the Arduino IDE versions until you find the one that works.

alpuyal:
I guess I’m not the only one having this problem

I read every post on this forum and I this is the first time I’ve seen this error reported. I just did a Google search for the error message and the arduino keyword and didn’t find anything. So I don’t think many others are having this problem.

alpuyal:
I’ll buy another one

The problem has nothing to do with your Arduino board. The problem is with the Arduino IDE software. Buying another board isn’t going to help. You need to fix the problem with the software. That means either updating your outdated operating system or finding the outdated version of the Arduino IDE that works with your outdated operating system.

If you’ll keep a positive attitude, I’m sure we can get you up and running soon enough.

Oh, my God!! Software was the guilty one. After thousands of forums, periods between happiness and anger, restarts, reloads, dark desires towards hardware, and many more… software was the murderer. PLEASE, advice the users that Arduino can have problems using the version 1.8.1. Now I’m using 1.0.6 and it works!!! At least the Blink Example. I will try the others.

The web page says Arduino 1.8.11 works with Mountain Lion or newer. But, for me, it’s not true. My Mac is a bit old (mid2012) but it’s in perfect order (I use it to work so part of my incomes depend on them).

So, thanks to all that suffered my anger and specially to Pert. Thanks a lot.

alpuyal:
Now I'm using 1.0.6 and it works!!!

I'm very glad to hear that. I do suspect that it was unnecessary to go all the way back to 1.0.6 though. That version is quite outdated. But it was good enough in its day. You will find that quite a few libraries are not compatible with Arduino IDE 1.0.6. You will also probably not be able to install support for some of the more advanced boards with architectures such as SAMD, ESP8266, ESP32, etc. But for the basic level stuff with your Uno, 1.0.6 will work fine.

alpuyal:
The web page says Arduino 1.8.11 works with Mountain Lion or newer. But, for me, it's not true.

I'm guessing this is true for everyone using the older macOS versions. I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard of this before. We have been getting lots of reports about the loss of support for Windows XP. Maybe Apple is better at herding their customers into using the new OS versions (which may include buying a new Mac).

I don't own a Mac, and I haven't figured out how to set up macOS virtual machines, so I can't try it out myself, but I do think that if the minimum macOS version has changed the statement on the Downloads page should be updated. If you like, you can submit a request about this to Arduino support via this form:
https://store.arduino.cc/store-support

alpuyal:
Thanks a lot.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry you had trouble getting started, but I think you and your son will start having lots of fun with Arduino now. Enjoy!
Per

Finally I've been updating Arduino software up to 1.6.13 and this is the last one that works with MacOS 10.8.5
I'll request it to Arduino in order to improve the experience with this device (it has been like going for a walk to Calvary).
Best regards.

Thanks for taking the time to post an update with that information @alpuyal! I'm sure others who have the same problem and find this topic in their search (which is very likely to happen since this will probably be the top search result) will be very grateful to know exactly which IDE version they need to roll back too. I think you'll be much more happy with the relatively modern Arduino IDE 1.6.13.