Why do I need an USB To Serial converter?

Hello :slight_smile:

I'm reading this: http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/Serial+Bluetooth+Telemetry

Because I plan to buy one of those cheap Bluetooth modules:

If I want to reprogram this device (baud speed, name and password), why do I need an additional USB to Serial thing, which cost even more than this device...

Why can't the Arduino do it, since there is already a USB to Serial converter... ??

You could configure it via Arduino, but it'll be easier to work with it at first, to learn as you go, if it's linked to your PC and a terminal.
But if you have to keep going back & forth to modify and upload a sketch to see if it's working right, then you'll go bonkers for sure.

You could probably do it with an arduino and a simple sketch. The arduino serial would work with your PC IDE serial monitor or any PC serial terminal application for entering user commands for your bluetooth device, and your sketch would use the software serial library to wire to your blue tooth device using ttl serial using any other two arduino digital I/O pins.

Lefty

Ok I think I understand, but Lefty, I have an Arduino Mega, can't I use Serial1 or something, instead of SoftwareSerial ?

guix:
Ok I think I understand, but Lefty, I have an Arduino Mega, can't I use Serial1 or something, instead of SoftwareSerial ?

Yes of course, the mega boards have four hardware serial ports.

Lefty