Why do they have to show it connected to a 9V battery?

{ sob }

I saw that one too. No indicator LED in the picture. Maybe they already let the smoke out?

flyboy:
I saw that one too. No indicator LED in the picture. Maybe they already let the smoke out?

Or the battery's flat.

Yeah, and why do they have to show the baterry's brand too?

@330R
I see your resistance is low. :slight_smile:

On the other hand...

It's funny how some companies expect me to get a good idea on size, by displaying their article, next to a foreign coin I've never had in my hands before.

I'd rather see a picture of a standard size battery in such cases.

What's more universal than a Duplo brick?

(The correct quote is "Resistance is futile!")

I wonder if there is a “standard size” that would be recognized around the world? How about a box of matches, or do they come in non-standard sizes? (I know you can get big boxes, I am talking the “normal” size).

Failing that, a ruler laid next to the item might help.

Well on 9gag, it's usually a banana for scale.

A ruler makes sense, but should have both inches and cm.

How about an ID-1 credit card, or from the same link, an ID-000 sim card for much smaller items.

Hmm, I was hoping the Wikipedia page about matchboxes would have slightly more helpful information than:

A matchbox is a box made of cardboard or thin wood designed to hold matches. It usually has a coarse striking surface on one edge for lighting the matches contained inside.

I could guess sentence #1. And most people know about sentence #2.

Probably an AA battery (or AAA) would be pretty univerally known (size-wise).

JimboZA:
Well on 9gag, it's usually a banana for scale.

Ah, yes, the "standard banana"... http://imgur.com/a/zr6T2

There we go.... that should be in a glass case somewhere as the isb: international standard banana.

Along with the Smoot.

Matchbox is a small metal car model/toy. When they were 50 cents, Hot Wheels came out for a buck.

The really cool thing is that you probably could fit surface mount inside at least some of them or Hot Wheels.

I looked at the picture and thought they must have a 7805 somewhere cause there's no room for a DC-DC converter. The converter would deliver more mA and less heat, and take care of 9V battery anemia.

Simpson_Jr:
On the other hand...

It's funny how some companies expect me to get a good idea on size, by displaying their article, next to a foreign coin I've never had in my hands before.

Yes. The coin they show could be 10cm (4") across for all I know.

Henry_Best:
Yes. The coin they show could be 10cm (4") across for all I know.

For a little while I also wondered, why... they don't simply include a picture of an 555 timer chip ?

But here's the answer. :smiley:

(wouldn't mind being so little while soldering SMD-parts....)

I still think that an AA battery has a universally-recognized size. Providing "AA" is visible in the photo (so as not to confuse it with AAA or other sizes) everyone knows what size they are.

Isn't the 9 volt battery a standard size?

Weedpharma

Good point, but the photo in the original post shows the battery connected up with wires.