Why does Arduino read the board when it is not connected with anything else,...?

Why does Arduino read the board when it is not connected with anything else, but when I wire it with the board and everything, it does not read it?

What board? What the heck are you talking about?

I have an Arduino Uno board and when I connect that with my computer, my computer is able to read it. I can see this in the "Serial Ports."

I am working on a school project and when I wire everything with the Arduino Uno and connect the Arduino with my computer, my computer no longer reads it and I am unable to upload my code. When I go to select a port, only these two show up: /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem

Is this more clear?

Is this more clear?

Not at all. What are you connecting to the Arduino? Where?

G_Osmenaj: when I wire everything with the Arduino Uno

I'm not there with you and I have no way of seeing your project or anything you're doing. You're going to have to tell us what "everything" is and how you are connecting "everything" to your Arduino board.

Can you imagine how those details might be important?

http://cdn.instructables.com/F5N/Y7KF/HO238R1V/F5NY7KFHO238R1V.LARGE.jpg

Look at this, this is exactly how i am connecting everything.

Perhaps you need to disconnect everything, and connect ONE thing. Power up the Arduino, and see if it can be seen. If so, shut it down, and connect ONE more thing. When it stops being seen, the last thing you connected was wrong.

Dude, if you’re not willing to talk about what you have done, then there’s no hope of anyone helping you. That’s a great picture, but you must have something different. You didn’t connect anything to pins 0 or 1 did you? What’s the thing up there to the top right?

If you’re not willing to talk about it, then go do it on your own. If you want help, then please be detailed. Please stop wasting our time.

For the computer to no longer see the arduino on the USB port, you have to have disabled the Arduino USB somehow. Probably a wiring mistake has shorted the power supply and caused the fuse to disconnect power.

Maybe you connected something to pins 0 and 1 ?

I don't think theres nothing wrong with your board. Once your computer usb starts to get back feed from the arduino that's has a external power supply it simply turns off to protect the computer. in simple terms your computer usb is probably 4.6-4.8v the arduino is 5v so its trying to bring the usb voltage up to 5v which is detected and the usb port is shut down.

using the v-in pin from the 12v supply as a way to move 12v to a bread board seems a odd way to wire it as you no longer have a way to use the usb. unplug the power supply and the tri-color led no longer works.

your computer usb is probably 4.6-4.8v the arduino is 5v so its trying to bring the usb voltage up to 5v which is detected and the usb port is shut down.

That’s very unlikely. There’s a fancy switching circuit that’s supposed to prevent that sort of thing.

Hi Can you post a picture of your project, so we can see your layout. What is the project supposed to do?

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png or pdf? Not fritzy, please.

Also check your protoboard. Some have the red and blue/black power supply lines down the sides open circuit halfway down the board. You can tell this by the fact that the lines will be broken halfway down the board.

Tom...... :)

(looks like: http://www.instructables.com/id/Blinking-LEDs-to-the-Frequency-of-Musi/ )

I actually figured out that problem; instead of the one LED, I am connecting a LED Strip Light and the wires from the male to male jumpers were interfering with each other causing Arduino to shut down and therefore my computer was not reading it.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially the comment that said I should try taking all the wires out and then putting them in one by one to see where the mistake was. That's how I was able to figure it out.

Gerald O.

Hi, That destructible will kill an arduino if they use too big a LED array, powering it from Vin, not good. That series diode D1 will not be happy. http://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Arduino_Uno_Rev3-schematic.pdf

Tom..... :)

That destructible will kill an arduino if they use too big a LED array, powering it from Vin, not good.

The picture OP posted a link to showed the Arduino driving three transistors. I'm pretty sure you can put just about anything on the other legs of the transistor with no harm, if the Arduino is only toggling the gate.

G_Osmenaj: http://cdn.instructables.com/F5N/Y7KF/HO238R1V/F5NY7KFHO238R1V.LARGE.jpg

Look at this, this is exactly how i am connecting everything.

Look which connection causes the error: 1. Disconnect every connection from your Arduino, so that nothing is connected 2- Then load, compile and upload the "Blink" or "BareMinimum" sketch to your board

Then in single steps: - disconnect your Arduion from USB - connect one component - connect Arduino to USB and check if the Arduino COM-port still is there and working (perhaps try uploading the "Blink" or "BareMinimum" sketch again)

Then you easily find out which component causes the fault.

Perhaps a wrongly selected or wrongly connected transistor? Perhaps a short circuit. Please be aware that you can only draw little current like 200mA from the 5V pin on the Arduino board. If you need much more current to drive a power-LED or something like that, you need an external power adapter for those devices that need more current and cannot use the 5V pin on the Arduino board.

Hi,
If you look you will see the supply for the LEDS is Vin.
On the PCB there is a polarity protection diode between DCinput and Vin.
What is D1’s rating?
Also what current can the PCB tracks take?
Sorry I would never put hardware supply current through my UNO pcb, even the current through gnd.

Tom… :slight_smile:
Just checked M7 smd diode 1Amp.