Why does the location of the resistor matter in this circuit ?

Hello,

I tried playing with Tinkercard to try basic circuits configuration.

In my understanding, the actual location of a resistor in a serial circuit does not matter.

So why do I get an alert in the second circuit, as shown in Img 2, but not in the first one (Img 1) ?

img 1

img 2

Thank you for your help,

Did you forget to post the images ?

Sorry, the images should display properly now
Thank you

The resistor is not connected to anything in the second circuit.

wolowizard:
In my understanding, the actual location of a resistor in a serial circuit does not matter.

Correct.

wolowizard:
So why do I get an alert in the second circuit, as shown in Img 2, but not in the first one (Img 1) ?

The resistor in the second circuit is not connected to the circuit.
It's two pins are also shorted together in row 19.

I think you need to review how a breadboard works.
Leo..

Thank you for your answers

My mistake was indeed due to an incorrect understanding of how a breadboard works.

This one should use the resistor properly. Am I correct ?

img 3

Thank you

Looks OK.

However, with Fritzing diagrams, it is impossible to tell whether the LED is correctly oriented. We strongly recommend to avoid using them, as they are usually misleading, often wrong and always confusing.

A photo of a pencil sketch of your wiring is easier to make and much preferred.

jremington:
A photo of a pencil sketch of your wiring is easier to make and much preferred.

Which is to say, a pencil sketch of your wiring schematic using the standard component representations.

Now actually, if you are in fact using a "solderless breadboard", the "Fritzing" diagram does describe the circuit. The problem is that in order to understand circuits, we are used to thinking of a circuit according to its function, not necessarily its physical layout so the schematic diagram is the language in which we understand the circuit and there is a secondary skill of assembling the actual physical circuit by interpreting that language which comes first.

Taking an unfamiliar assembled circuit and deducing its schematic diagram in order to comprehend its function (or misbehaviour) is called "reverse engineering". For a simple circuit such as your Fritzing diagram, that is reasonably straightforward but it becomes rapidly more difficult to untangle as more parts are involved. :roll_eyes:

Your first image is also incorrect. You should have a resistor for each led.

jremington:
However, with Fritzing diagrams

Is it Fritzing or Tinkercad?

OK, Tinkercad I think - Fritzing has a watermark.

And I think, no curves.

So far, I have not used either.

? tinkercad is the program by Autodesk for drawing 3D objects to be 3D printed.

Paul__B:
Which is to say, a pencil sketch of your wiring schematic using the standard component representations.

Now actually, if you are in fact using a "solderless breadboard", the "Fritzing" diagram does describe the circuit. The problem is that in order to understand circuits, we are used to thinking of a circuit according to its function, not necessarily its physical layout so the schematic diagram is the language in which we understand the circuit and there is a secondary skill of assembling the actual physical circuit by interpreting that language which comes first.

Taking an unfamiliar assembled circuit and deducing its schematic diagram in order to comprehend its function (or misbehaviour) is called "reverse engineering". For a simple circuit such as your Fritzing diagram, that is reasonably straightforward but it becomes rapidly more difficult to untangle as more parts are involved. :roll_eyes:

That's good. can I steal it?

SteveMann:

Isn't it more efficient to say "Post a silly Fritzing :smiling_imp: picture and you are likely to be ignored or laughed at"?

:grin: :grin:

SteveMann:

Steal it?

I don't think so! If you like it, it is pretty much ipso facto, "public domain"!

Or maybe GPL or something. :grinning:

AJLElectronics:
Isn't it more efficient to say "Post a silly Fritzing :smiling_imp: picture and you are likely to be ignored or laughed at"?

:grin: :grin:

No, because that will be laughed at.

Does the forum have "No Fritzing" sign somewhere ? ("Fritzing")

If not, it should.