Why don't people just use Windows?

Osgeld:

liudr:

retrolefty: The Arduino project being multi platform requires no justification for one's choice of OS. Kind of like freedom of religion. Live with it. ;)

Not until some start to knock on your door and tell you that you should use their OS and what you are using is WRONG and you go to hell for not using the right OS. LOL

Thats why I use them all, most of my machines are dual boot linux / windows, I have a old power pc mac that tri boots OS9.22, OSX10.2 and debian. I can argue the pro's and cons of them all, but I am never stuck, though I may have to walk to the other room occasionally if I dont feel like droppng everything and rebooting

Any advice on syncing your files on multiple machines/OS? I'm stuck with the old "copy-go-around" way. Need a new way to sync files.

yea, I have a nas and almost all my projects and tinkering stuff lives there (heck my current bench machine from the dumpster is nearly diskless, just a old 10 gig to boot from) and my other drives are shared as well ...

course on dual boot machines, linux has little issues with windows drives, and there is software for windows that will read linux (or mac) partitions

Is there any problems with this drive regarding editing text files on different systems? Specifically the new line problem? I don’t have one. Any recommendations?

depends what you use, write something in notepad on windows and read it on a linux box the text will get double spaced due to windows using newline AND return, but on windows I use notepad++ and it knows better.

same thing the other way around, I write a text file on linux and look at it in notepad it looses all newlines cause its missing the return, but again notepad++ knows better (and its so much better overall anyway)

and you go to hell for not using the right OS

Close. You ARE in hell if you use the wrong one!

anything that doesnt boot quick and get the hell out of the way falls into that category.

its amusing how far we have come, but yet how far off track we are. my 1986 MAC SE can go from a cold boot to excel before my quad core can even boot windows 7 (though try watching goofy youtube videos on it!)

Grumpy_Mike: Close. You ARE in hell if you use the wrong one!

LoL, that's right! By the way everyone use what he has :grin:

Not fair comparison! You used to be able to turn on a TV by pushing the power button and just wait for the tube to warm up in seconds. Now my el-cheapo digital TV takes longer to boot up. My apple ii clone turns on and beeps with a basic prompt or takes some one minute-ish to boot dos on floppy. iPad boots fast but you can't write an email on it, totally toy level software.

On the other hand, it's pretty surprising how much junk programs people have loaded, running, and talking over the internet that they don't need running and seldom if ever even use.

liudr: Not fair comparison! You used to be able to turn on a TV by pushing the power button and just wait for the tube to warm up in seconds. Now my el-cheapo digital TV takes longer to boot up. My apple ii clone turns on and beeps with a basic prompt or takes some one minute-ish to boot dos on floppy. iPad boots fast but you can't write an email on it, totally toy level software.

Why can't you write an email on your iPad? I'm posting this reply with one, and I send a lot of email with it too. Are you having problems using the keyboard?

dhunt Try start an email on an iPad, then try to find something on another email while you quite the new email. I bet you can't since the new email will disable everything in the poor man's email client. In 2000 I was able to do this with ie. And that was called missing the brain, greedy apple!

Try start an email on an iPad, then try to find something on another email while you quite the new email.

The clue is in the words while you quite the new email if you quit something then sure you can’t go back to it. The thing you forget is that the iPad is not a computer, it is an iPad. If you expect it to behave like a computer then no wonder you are disappointed.

On a windows system how do you turn off the computer? You hit the item that says START how logical is that?

On a windows system how do you turn off the computer?

I hit the power button :roll_eyes:

type. iPad insists on correcting me. Another annoying feature either you turn off entirely or let it have its own way, all the way.

liudr: dhunt Try start an email on an iPad, then try to find something on another email while you quite the new email. I bet you can't since the new email will disable everything in the poor man's email client. In 2000 I was able to do this with ie. And that was called missing the brain, greedy apple!

Okay, I just tried that and it dropped the current email into drafts. I looked up the other email, copied some text out of it, opened up my draft and pasted it in, sent it.

Seems to work.

You have to press cancel, don't you? Just the start button joke in a different way.

Hmm seems like you are throwing up problems that on further investigation don't exist. I guess you just don't like the product. Fair enough.

Those are just the minor things. Try connect blue tooth serial with iPad and compare with android or windows tablets. Maybe read a bit more about how to get any apple stuff to connect blue tooth serial. It is like you bought the hardware but are not allowed to use it in this case. You can access it but need deep pocket as a developer. It's simply wrong.

I program the Arduino mainly on the Mac (except when I have to use the AVR toolchain which is Windows only). I also use Linux. They each have their irritating idiosyncrasies.

Each operating system today (including recent Ubuntu releases) seem to follow the philosophy of "let's treat the user as a moron and give him/her a wizard to do what we think they need to do".

If you fall foul of what they think you want to do "hey ... I didn't want my file saved automatically!" then you are in trouble.

Hey Nick,

you might like this makefile from Tim Marston. I’ve updated it to work with the mac ~/Documents/Arduino directory. Just drop it in a sketch directory and run make. Note that it does not yet work with attiny since it does look for hardware under ~/Documents/Arduino, but I plan to fix that.

makefile (13.7 KB)