why my Gnd and 5V pin are shorted?

Dear All,

I have an Arduino UNO board. Why my board's pin Gnd and 5V are shorted to each other? This is normal?

Thanks

No ! not normal. Is it an official Arduino Uno board ? or a cheap clone from Ebay ? Perhaps you might see the shortcut with a magnifier and scratch it off with a knife.

harooney: I have an Arduino UNO board. Why my board's pin Gnd and 5V are shorted to each other? This is normal?

Interesting approach:

Apply 5V and Ground to the correct terminals (or perhaps better, 3.3V) with a spare ATX computer power supply.

The short circuit should immediately become visible. :D

{Do I need to provide additional warnings?}

Paul__B, very funny, but I have repaired a pcb-board that way. There was a shortcut between two lines in a multilayer pcb-board (not an arduino). I disconnected all the components of those two lines. I just cut the pins of the chips that were connected. After that I burned the shortcut with current. And with a solder I connected the pins of the chips again. And it worked.

Did it work before? What happened to it?

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
What makes you think they are ‘shorted’

Here the picture shows pin 5V and Gnd connected to each other. :frowning:
Thank you

image (7).jpeg

Here the picture shows pin 5V and Gnd connected to each other.

It shows no such thing.

When an electronic circuit is not powered it just looks like a diode. Does it work?

Do you see the same value when you reverse the measuring pins ? As Grumpy_Mike pointed out, that value is not a short. The multimeter might be beeping, but that tells you the value is below a certain level. A short also is below that level, but that doesn't mean any beep is a short.

What value do you see if you short those measuring pins ?

Grumpy_Mike:

Here the picture shows pin 5V and Gnd connected to each other.

It shows no such thing.

When an electronic circuit is not powered it just looks like a diode.
Does it work?

MAS3:
Do you see the same value when you reverse the measuring pins ?
As Grumpy_Mike pointed out, that value is not a short.
The multimeter might be beeping, but that tells you the value is below a certain level.
A short also is below that level, but that doesn’t mean any beep is a short.

What value do you see if you short those measuring pins ?

Yes… It’s still working. I still can upload sample sketch on it. I have 2 Arduino UNO boards. It’s beeping when I shorted 5v and gnd pin on this board, but the other one board was not beeping. So what the different of these board?
Can you tell me how is the right way to check it’s shorted or not ? I only know it’s shorted when beeping as long as we shorted 2 pins. Thank you

If it works then it is not shorting. Are the probes the same way round when you measure them. You might find your meter bleeps in one direction but not in the other.

The other thing is that the threshold set by your meter might be just on the edge of what you are measuring.

What ever, there is nothing to worry about, if it works it is fine. This is not a measurement you should be talking anyway because it tells you nothing.

Grumpy_Mike: If it works then it is not shorting. Are the probes the same way round when you measure them. You might find your meter bleeps in one direction but not in the other.

The other thing is that the threshold set by your meter might be just on the edge of what you are measuring.

What ever, there is nothing to worry about, if it works it is fine. This is not a measurement you should be talking anyway because it tells you nothing.

Ok.. Thanks Mike...