Why no love for VFDs?

Are they considered obsolete or just hard to work with because of higher voltages. They look like very interesting display types to me.

Personally, I like how VFDs look.

However, I think it's combination of issues that are minor by themselves but together make VFDs the least popular option. First, even the latest generation have noticably higher power consumption. Then they've been displaced in the last few decades by LCDs and OLEDs for many applications and this cause the second and third issues lower selection and availability on the open market. A possible fourth is that many Arduino users who don't know much about electronics tend to use the parts that have the most prevelent/easiest to find examples and tutorials.

There is also the fact that VFD's (A Favorite of mine since I used my first single tube VFD 40 years ago) are 2 to 3 X the price of an equivalent LCD, GLCD ot TFT type display. I've shopped any number of them and even the Russian versions are pricey. IMO

Doc

Far-seeker:
Personally, I like how VFDs look.

However, I think it's combination of issues that are minor by themselves but together make VFDs the least popular option. First, even the latest generation have noticably higher power consumption. Then they've been displaced in the last few decades by LCDs and OLEDs for many applications and this cause the second and third issues lower selection and availability on the open market. A possible fourth is that many Arduino users who don't know much about electronics tend to use the parts that have the most prevelent/easiest to find examples and tutorials.

I ask because I bought one from Newhaven for the same reason you mention - I like the way they look too.

The thing is run from serial, so I don't see any issues driving it at all - you just send it character or control data one byte at a time. 64 characters in the character set, and apparently 192 control codes to set position or brightness.

And it has it's own step-up DC converter. All you supply is +5V and the control signals.

Docedison:
There is also the fact that VFD's (A Favorite of mine since I used my first single tube VFD 40 years ago) are 2 to 3 X the price of an equivalent LCD, GLCD ot TFT type display. I've shopped any number of them and even the Russian versions are pricey. IMO

Doc

Yes cost is a factor as well. Although that's related to how available they are, which in turn depends quite a bit on how often they are used in commercial and industrial applications.

JoeN:
I ask because I bought one from Newhaven for the same reason you mention - I like the way they look too.

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/M0116MY-161LSBR2-S2.pdf

Right it seems like a well designed display board. However, it appears to be primarily for numbers and unfortunately it's $49.00... Over at Adafruit there's a 20X2 serial VFD for $29.95 but display size is quite a bit smaller. Even so I doubt Ladyada's making much of a margin of that item.