WHY SO INTRUSIVE?

I just wanted to buy my father -who recently retired from his job- an Arduino Starter Kit to keep him busy. It was just that: a Christmas present. But it turns out that you can not do that unless you become a member of the Arduino Community and you have a PayPal account.

Why?? I don't like that my credit card details being stored in PayPal servers (I might be right or not but I still don't like it) and I had no interest in becoming a member of your community. Why did I have to do all that to buy a present?

There are many distributors of Arduino products. You could purchase from one of them if they support the payment method you prefer: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Buy.

They used to accept credit cards directly if I remember correctly. The site is going through changes lately. Maybe the in-house methods were disabled for security reasons and paypal is a good alternative to keep things running.

What is wrong with paypal? I've never had problems. Get a prepaid visa card if you are worried, I use one.

JAVIER_cm:
I had no interest in becoming a member of your community. Why did I have to do all that to buy a present?

I can understand your irritation - especially if you have no personal interest in Arduino programming.

But please encourage your father to join this Forum - many of us are retired and there is a huge amount of support available.

...R

I have made many posts here, but have never joined the "Arduino Store", nor purchased anything from them.

There are lots of suppliers who will supply Arduino products if you buy direct.

As for the (this) forum, joining is free and you don't need to supply any financial details. You (or your father) will get prompt and helpful support here.

Why?? I don't like that my credit card details being stored in PayPal servers (I might be right or not but I still don't like it) and I had no interest in becoming a member of your community. Why did I have to do all that to buy a present?

You can buy what you need on ebay or other vendors (even Radio Shack carries some stuff). I like paypal, much more secure than actually giving your credit card info to lesser known vendors out there.

Buyer protection, etc, so much safer than using credit card directly, I agree. And if you fund your Paypal account with your credit card anyway, you win all ways round if there ever was any sort of problem. I guess the guy keeps his money in a shoe box under the bed, and doesn't trust online banking also. :smiling_imp:

Regards,

Graham

I haven't checked on the Arduino Store, but usually when they use paypal checkout, you can use a debit/credit card to pay without having to make a paypal account - the first page you come to in the paypal checkout allows you to select whether to use an account or a card. That's why I use paypal checkout on my site at least.