Why the stickies don't work

Ok, the sticky posts do work. But not always very good. Why do newbies still post good questions in the most stupidest way? I had a look at the "Read this before posting a programming question" sticky post. It goes:
1. Arduino programming language
yadda yadda
2. Version 1.0 of the IDE*
yadda yadda
3. Libraries
yadda yadda
4. Reference page
yadda yadda
5. Examples
yadda yadda
6. Getting help on the forum
yadda yadda Post your code between code tags yadda yadda

13 sub headers! They seem to be sorted in some academic fashion, like "Read all this until you know everything". The sixth section has somewhere something about using code tags. Don't be surprised, if a newbie, every once in a while, misses that.

Another approach for sticky posts would be to sort the topics according to what advice would be mostly needed. What "rules" are mostly being broken.

Feel free to write what you think would be a good Intro for beginners and post it in your next Reply here.

It can be very difficult for an experienced person to see things through the eyes of a newbie so, as you are relatively new, you may have a significant advantage.

If it really is good I will certainly propose that it should replace the existing sticky.

...R

Its a pet peeve of mine too in that so many people dont even read the stickies and after all they are there for very good reasons.

IMHO part of the reason is smart phones and similar where scrolling on by and only looking at the first few things seems to be the tolerance level norm.

Older users do tend to read the stickies a little more and quite often even a first time older user will put together a decent post in a request for help.

No idea about the “sort fashion” so am no help to you there.

Code tags I think are a lot of peoples pet hate and there have been topics in the past about making it easier.
Some underlying issues relate to the forum software itself as it was “inherited” so some changes are quite difficult. The development team has a lot of other work to do but we have seen some minor changes at the front end (major at the backend)

Add to that the recent inheritance of a whole slew of arduino.cc web sites and the relevant data for the teams in the back room and you can see how they are overworked.

Do agree with your sentiments though…just giving a little background that I am sure others will add to greatly.

It should be noted that there is another sticky on every forum section: How to use this forum - please read., which has the code tags requirement at item 7. The items are numbered in the order that people will need to know them during the process of creating a post. I think it would make sense to remove all the duplicate content from Read this before posting a programming question and to add the requirement to read the "How to use this forum - please read." post as the first item on the "Read this before posting a programming question" with a link to that post.

Johan_Ha:
Don't be surprised, if a newbie, every once in a while, misses that.

Except that they should be reading the "How to use this forum - please read.", which states that rule quite prominently. Of course many beginners won't bother to read the stickies at all. I think it would help to bump the "How to use this forum - please read." post to the top of the stickies instead of its current location at the bottom. There has also been talk about changing the forum software to force people to that URL before they can make their first post on the forum but that will require some work from the website team. Of course we also tell people to read them but that's only after they've already made a post that demonstrates that they didn't.

Johan_Ha:
Another approach for sticky posts would be to sort the topics according to what advice would be mostly needed. What "rules" are mostly being broken.

My main gripe with "How to use this forum - please read." is that cross posting is not more prominently mentioned. This is a huge problem on this forum that happens every day it deserves its own number in that list. I also don't like that it is listed as a "guideline". That's just not a strong enough term. No cross posting should be a rule and it should be clear that repeatedly breaking that rule has consequences beyond a "warning". Other than that I think the information on that post is excellent. Maybe it could be condensed down a bit or start with a summary for the tl;dr crowd.

Thanks Pert made a small mod to mine in CREATE editor using your suggestion.

There should probably be some points about etiquette as well. Like if you decide to forget your project and rant for four pages because PaulS said that your for loop looked stupid then be aware that everyone else is just going to skip you and nobody is going to help after that.