Why will ESP8266-E12 display to Nokia using PCD8544 BUT WeMos wont

I can successfully connect a Nokia display to a ESP6288 when, in the IDE I specify the board as 'NodeMCU 1.0(ESP 12E)'

But when I try running the same code on a WeMos specifying board as 'WeMos D1 R1'. it fails to compile.

I thought the ESP6288 and WeMos are essentially the same microcontroller. If so is this a problem with the IDE ??? The library I'm using is for the Nokia is Adafruit_PCD8544.h

Welcome comments

@rbright,

what processor board do you really have? Please provide a clickable link!

Maybe you could try to compile for LOLIN(Wemos) D1 R2 & mini.

Jean-Marc

'WeMos D1 R1'. it fails to compile.

So there are errors? Why not share the errors and the code so that we can help?

Read the how to use this forum-please read sticky to see how to properly post code and errors. Remove useless white space and format the code with the IDE autoformat tool (crtl-t or Tools, Auto Format) before posting code.

Please include the entire error message. It is easy to do. There is a button (lower right of the IDE window) called "copy error message". Copy the error and paste into a post in code tags. Paraphrasing the error message leaves out important information.

ZinggJM:
@rbright,

what processor board do you really have? Please provide a clickable link!

Maybe you could try to compile for LOLIN(Wemos) D1 R2 & mini.

Jean-Marc

Thankyou so much Jean-Marc you were correct.
I'm new to WeMos and initially tried WeMos D1 R1 and it worked with simple applications like Blynk so I thought that was the correct option.
I now see with the clone that I've purchased off eBay that LOLIN(Wemos) D1 R2 & mini is correct choice.

Thanks also to groungFungus for your prompt response