Wi Fi remote control of 3 identical STBs via IR project

Good morning everyone. I am about to embark on my first project with and I wanted to make sure that what I want to do is doable, and eventually find the best set up. I have no limitation about the hardware I can use, Arduino, RPi, Esp8266, I am looking for the best, possibly cheapest, solution.

Here's what I want to do.

I have three identical Set Top Boxes (Icecrypt Sat receivers) stacked one on top of the other in a cupboard that I need to be able to control remotely, ideally via LAN or WiFi with a Mac or an Android phone.

Unfortunately I don't have any direct experience of electronics but I am fascinated by it, so I am slowly getting into it.

I looked at other projects online and the main route to follow seems to be to make the system learn the IR codes from the remote and then replicate to an IR emitter. In my case, i will need three different emitters (because the STBs are identical and I want to control them independently).

I thought I could attach this kind of emitters:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Extender-Extension-Transmitter-Compatible-Red/dp/B06WW6L2FK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531642293&sr=8-3&keywords=IR+emitter

to three 3.5mm sockets on a breadboard.

What hardware would you suggest for this? Would a single device be able to control the devices independently?

Somebody suggested I should use three different devices (like ESP8266) and give them different IP addresses, but a unified interfaces for controlling the three would be my ideal solution.

Thank you for your suggestions and any kind of help you can provide!

This is how you post a link.

I don't know if that emitter is Arduino compatible. If it is just an ir emitter led, then it probably is. But I would stick to using the ordinary ir LEDs sold for use with Arduino for now. When you have one of those working, then you can try substituting one of your choice.

You should also get an ir receiver sold for use with Arduino. You can use it to capture the required codes from the Icecrypt remote.

In terms of board, I would recommend Wemos mini. However, I have never tried ir control with them. The Arduino ir libraries might not be compatible with esp, so need to check that.

First of all you have to find out how your boxes can be controlled at all. Post a link to the data sheets.

Apologies for my mistakes.

Here's the link to the receiver manual, I hope you can find the info you are looking for :

https://ns323666.ip-37-187-156.eu/manuals/Icecrypt%20Digital%20Receiver/Icecrypt%20S3200CCIHD%20Digital%20Receiver.pdf

PaulRB:
In terms of board, I would recommend Wemos mini. However, I have never tried ir control with them. The Arduino ir libraries might not be compatible with esp, so need to check that.

Thank you for your input Paul, I have ordered the parts and waiting to get started with it!

Do you think I would be able to control the three identical receivers with a single ESP board?

Thanks!

Your link results in Error 403 - Forbidden

DrDiettrich:
Your link results in Error 403 - Forbidden

Hmmm. It does now, but it was ok earlier.

It showed something similar to this.

A photo of a cable is not a good replacement for a manual or data sheet.

Apologies again,

This is the working link:

https://manuall.co.uk/icecrypt-s3200ccihd-digital-receiver/

I could not find any instructions on assigning a different ID to a receiver.

How do you control your receivers individually?

DrDiettrich: How do you control your receivers individually?

I think the OP's plan is to use one ir emitter per receiver, each placed directly over a receiver's ir port. Those cables have a cover over the emitter to prevent stray ir signals affecting other equipment except the equipment it is attached to.

PaulRB: I think the OP's plan is to use one ir emitter per receiver, each placed directly over a receiver's ir port. Those cables have a cover over the emitter to prevent stray ir signals affecting other equipment except the equipment it is attached to.

That's exactly what I was planning to do.

I was wondering if an ESP board would be able to learn the IR codes from a remote and then, through an android app or some sort of web interface, control individually the three receivers. Sorry if I wasn't totally clear in the first place.

I have seen projects using ESP and ir emitters to remotely control multiple but different pieces of equipment. They use a single ir emitter and because each piece equipment used different ir codes, there was no problem using a single emitter. Your requirement is slightly different because you want to control multiple pieces of equipment that use the same codes and so you have to use separate emitters. I have not seen this done before, but logically I can think of no reason why it would not be possible. Hopefully, it can be done by attaching the 3 emitters to separate esp pins and having the sketch select which pin to use before each ir command is sent. If that cannot be achieved, at worst you might need to add a multiplexer chip to direct the ir data from a single esp pin to one of the 3 emitters.

As for learning codes from equipment, "ordinary" Arduino can do this, so, again, I can't see a reason why esp cannot also do that.

So you may be breaking some slightly new ground here but with the help of this forum I suggest you give it a go.