Wifi controller switch

Hi all,

I am new to Arduino and hoping to build something for myself. I would like to control my home's switch via wifi, an iOS app so I can turn lights or even my boiler on/off.

I can create the app myself but just not too sure how can I link it to the switch. Really hoping if someone can provide a good guidance / direction on my little project. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!

I would like to control my home's switch via wifi,

Just one?

Why WiFi? WiFi implies a home network, which implies a router, which implies that the Arduino with Ethernet shield has some place to plug into. Ethernet is far easier than WiFi, and far more reliable. Any smart phone, not just an iPhone, can run a browser that can connect to the Arduino-as-server.

Thank you PaulS for replying. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to try one for testing to start with.

Ah okay. That sounds like something better. Do you know any good tutorials for a beginner in Arduino like me to start with?

Also, does the "receiving switch" needs to be battery powered? Kinetic? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again!

PaulS:
Why WiFi? WiFi implies a home network, which implies a router, which implies that the Arduino with Ethernet shield has some place to plug into. Ethernet is far easier than WiFi, and far more reliable. Any smart phone, not just an iPhone, can run a browser that can connect to the Arduino-as-server.

I want to do this and wifi because its wireless. Ethernet may be easier but its very limited by having to be connected physically with a PC or router - where all four available connections are in use anyway. I want switches I can move around depending on different needs including mobility eg. parked vehicles wihout leads trailng out of them!