WiFi detector.

hi people!

I'm doing a school project where I want to detect WiFi, and I was wondering if it was possible to make a wifi-detector with arduino?

So, basically I want to walk in a room, have this detector in my hands, and detect where the wifi is and what the density of this wifi is, for example, by having a few LED's that will light up when wifi is detected (the closer you are to the source, the more leds will light up)

Is this possible with arduino? And if this is possible, how do I approach this and what do I need?
Thank you for your help!

You don’t need an Arduino. However, you can make a cell phone/WiFi detector based on the ancient crystal radio technique, which involves a tuned loop, a detector diode and an LED. See this link: The Creative Science Centre - by Dr Jonathan P. Hare

The diode and the dimensions of the antenna are critical and it is difficult to impossible to get the OA91. I happened to have an OA91 in my junk box, but I got better results using microwave detector diodes from eBay (HSMS286K). They are not easy to work with because of the tiny packages with extremely short leads, but they work better than the OA91 diode. See attached. The LED lights up brightly near a microwave oven, which operates on similar frequencies to WiFi.

microwave_det.JPG

cell_phone_det.JPG

late, but thanks!