Wifi hotspot overseas robot control

Hi guys,
Let's say I'm person A in country A
And there's person B in country B

I want person B to be able to be able to control my robot from country B even if my robot is in a park for instance (my phone will be used as wifi hotspot).

Is such a thing possible with the typical wifi shields/ESP8266 or do I need something else?

Best regards,

-Val

It’s certainly possible, but you may want to accommodate latency (in both directions).

If Person B is at a known address on the Internet, your robot can easily act as the client in a TCP/IP connection and make an outgoing connection to that address.

If you want Person B and Person C at different addresses to control the robot at different times, it would be easiest if the robot connected as a client to a third machine (Server X) at a known address and the various users connected as clients to a different port on Server X to control the robot. Server X would just forward messages in both directions.

I guess the major question is how do I turn it into a known address on the internet? Once I manage to view it as a localhost...what are my options in turning it into a public one? Buying a domain? Port forwarding? I'm willing to pay extra if it makes it easier.

Well... To do it on your phone you would have to set up port forwarding in your phone. That would depend on your phone OS. Does your phone have that feature?

Once you get the port forwarding figured out, you need to set up dynamic DNS on your phone. That is a client that determines your phone's public IP address (assuming it has one) and uploads that to a dynamic DNS server so that your phone can be reached by name. This assumes that your phone connection is assigning you a global IP address and not a local address. If I had to guess, I would say NO WAY.

Fair enough, I will stick to stationary ESP8266. Instead of port forwarding via my router can I simply upload the code on a webhost instead?

Valeriya:
Fair enough, I will stick to stationary ESP8266. Instead of port forwarding via my router can I simply upload the code on a webhost instead?

What code?