Wifi in front of me or back of me using signal strength?

hello I'm using a ESP8266 with a arduino Uno and LCD screen. To display Wifi scanning in the area. But i was wondering something. Is it possible to detect a strength if it is in front of me or in back of me and how far if in range? Is this possible or impossible? I know there some ways for wifi routers and hot spots to do it. but i wonder if the ESP8266 can do it as well or something to tell at least?

You need to print out the RSSI for each network for signal strength.

Something like ..

Serial.printf("RSSI: %d dBm\n", WiFi.RSSI());

As far as to whether it was in front or behind you I think that would take two antennas and diversity reception.

josephchrzempiec: hello I'm using a ESP8266 with a arduino Uno and LCD screen. To display Wifi scanning in the area. But i was wondering something. Is it possible to detect a strength if it is in front of me or in back of me and how far if in range? Is this possible or impossible? I know there some ways for wifi routers and hot spots to do it. but i wonder if the ESP8266 can do it as well or something to tell at least?

Impossible I would suggest.

Think about it, your holding your phone and take one reading then spin 180 degrees on the spot. In RSSI terms how can you know the receiver has rotated through 180 degrees ?

Hello you are correct with a Esp8266 there is no way of detecting if it’s front of behind me. That is why I’m here to try to figure something out.

Signal strength is nearly useless, as you can easily discover with a smart phone.

Download an app to report the signal strength of nearby wifi access points and experiment with it a bit, walking around the building. In most situations it will vary rather wildly.

Hello Jremington you are right i can do that with my phone but i wanted to try something different by Maybe later on mapping the signals somehow in a 3D space to be stored for later on.

It's done in the commercial field using diversity reception. Look it up. Probably not doable using Arduino.

On UK police cars they use a similar system using a 4 square array on the roof at UHF. The receiver electronics switches between each antenna in turn and measures the signal then compares readings. It's used for car tracker finding. There's some sophisticated electronics there.

Yeah well I'm not police and that sounds like i need licenses LOL