WiFi or RF Keyfob

Hi all,

I have a project where I wish to run a motor at the press of a button either physically on the machine or on a remote keyfob (currently a 433MHz one).

I am trying to decide if it is worth continuing down the road of the 433MHz keyfob or if I should investigate the use of going 2.4GHz WiFi to allow a smart-phone to connect to it using a custom API to then control the motor on/off action.

I know it seems a little excessive, but it could stem the further development of an app and be less prone to "Free to air 433MHz" noise.

Another reason for pondering this is that I've just got one of these 433 transmitter/receiver module kits, which seem very common:

along with downloading the RC_Switch library and I'm having trouble working out if it's possible to do an "RF Learn" so that the receiver module only responds to my keyfob. (I have not fully scourered the header file yet).

Any guidance of where to look for more information other than google (as I've been there) would be really great. I'm sure some of you on here have delved in to RF stuff and will have projects using it, up and running.

Thank you in advance.

Mr_Si,

If you just want to switch on an engine at mains voltage, and you're considering an app, you might want to have a look at sonoff first, it's very cheap and easy to use globally.

If you decide against it, we of course will gladly help you further.

Sincerely yours,

Mike

You can get much better performance (longer range, less weird problems, and functionality at 3.3v) with a better receiver. The green cheap transmitters are okay, but the receivers are terribad.

Search ebay for an RXB12 433mhz receiver (or other receiver based on SYN470/480) - they're about $1.xx. They have MUCH longer range, don't tend to get into that "stuck" state when used at close range, and will work at 3.3v. They were the clear winner two years ago when I was testing the range of various 433mhz receivers.

Mikeb1970:
Mr_Si,

If you just want to switch on an engine at mains voltage, and you're considering an app, you might want to have a look at sonoff first, it's very cheap and easy to use globally.

If you decide against it, we of course will gladly help you further.

Sincerely yours,

Mike

Hi Mike / DrAzzy, sorry for the delay in reply - I've not been able to post back until today. No it's a little more complex than that I'm afraid. I'm enabling/disabling a motor via C++ in arduino at the press of a button but I want remote operation as an option to just local button press control so I'm looking in to which to use.

If Wifi and smartphone app, then that will give me options for other functionality in the future but for now, simple RF keyfob would give me remote-ability.

I've also purchased one of the better RF receivers that DrAzzy has suggested, so looking forward to that arriving. I just need to find a sensible header that I can use for RF stuff. I'd like the ability to program a single RF in to the receiver's memory so that it only responds to that particular keyfob - any pointers on where to look for this and how to do it? I shall continue to google it.

On further investigation, I may just use these as they have an "RF Leran" function built in to them and they're off-the-shelf parts that I can just wire in. Plus, we use them already in another machine.

I think that would keep things simple!