Wifi Router with Arduino Mini

Hello everyone,

I was thinking if is it possible to make WifiRouter with Arduino Mini, as I'm Network administrator and most of my jobs are in sites and i need to have a laptop to configure the new routers/Switches ,... using RJ45 or Console port, I always have issue with battery life, laptop weight and cable management issue, so if i could create such a device i can use my tablet which have 8x battery life and 1/5 weight of my tablet.
although there is alternative which is using USB Ethernet adapter but in real scenarios it will end-up damaging Tablet port.
so as i figured there maybe a very cheaper and better solution which is Arduino mini with wifi adapter (809.11AC is better if available) and RJ45 port which can be configure as Ethernet or Console port.

I'm so new in Arduino world so I have no idea of how to do this project, I would gladly appreciate if anyone could help me with this build.

Thanks in advnace :slight_smile:

your tablet doesn't have WiFi?

Hello and thanks for your interest, My tablet have wifi with both 2.4 and 5Ghz, I think i need to explain more,

see i want to connect a cable to Arduino via RJ45 port, and arduino redirects all traffic via Wifi to my tablet.

Please feel free to ask if i was not cleared. Thanks :slight_smile:

I've found a product from Asus which is exactly what i'm interested in to make via Arduino :

WL330NUL

Erixploit:
I've found a product from Asus which is exactly what i'm interested in to make via Arduino :
WL330NUL

Then that is what you will be using. :grinning:

Case closed. :sunglasses:

Erixploit:

WL330NUL

this is for USB

use TL-WR802N | 300Mbps Wireless N Nano Router | TP-Link

it can bridge Ethernet to WiFi for one device. I use it to connect cable Ethernet devices to WiFi network.
or it can be configured as WiFi AP with access to wired network

I shared this link to clear my Idea, I think doing this with arduino would be both fun and cheaper, also these devices are 802.11n which i'm considering to use 802.11AC, also i mentioned capability for console port which no device has this in the market. :slight_smile:

Juraj:
this is for USB

use TL-WR802N | 300Mbps Wireless N Nano Router | TP-Link

it can bridge Ethernet to WiFi for one device. I use it to connect cable Ethernet devices to WiFi network.
or it can be configured as WiFi AP with access to wired network

i think using Raspberry Pi is more convenient than this , but the size is big which I consider to use something like Arduino Nano so i can fit it in my tablet bag.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway :slight_smile:

Nano or Mini have no networking. esp8266 can do WiFi and Ethernet. but it will be no fun, but endless study of networking and testing complicated code. and the performance will be pure because an MCU doesn't have performance of an Atheros WiFi chip.

the size